Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Damaged Chassis

Pierre Gillet

I need the advice of those who have the experience of the following disaster.

My seven fell off while being raised on the left jacking point. The jack slipped off the waxoyled chassis tube.

The front chassis tube going from left to right just under the radiator was impacted by a jack that was just under the towing ring, in the low position. The right part tube is now flattened/bent about 5mm up. So is the right diagonal.

I tried the car in the wet at 100km/h. No problem including under braking.

What should I do question.gif

Thanks for your help.

Pierre

Sorry to hear of your accident .... you must be gutted .

I hate raising and lowering my car and have visions of this happening all the time .

If you are concerned about the chassis allinement then you can get this checked out on one of those fancy laser checks as seen in CCC magazine at Dave Walkers .

The damage to the chassis tubes doesnt sound half as bad as some of the bent tubes I've seen on the superlight R racers at the final round of the season . I'd consult caterham or Arch Motors if the tubes concerned are high load bearing .

Dave

Yeah Dave. really gutted. This morning I went for a blast around my home in the Yvelines and did not notice anything special. The car brakes in line. No problems in corners. I reach 150 km/h on the autoroute and then braked as hard as I could do it safely on the wet. Did not notice anything special.

The idea of a geometry laser test is very good. I must now investigate where I can do it in the Paris region. If I cannot find in France, I 'll go to England. May be the opportunity for some sexy upgrade...

Did the Superlight racers with their bent tubes race , or were they out of the race as a consequence of an accident?

regards,

Pierre

Yes Dave, I feel much better smile.gif. Just found an ad for motorbike chassis laser check. Will contact them.

Of course, England is really a paradise for "petrol heads". The only BIG problem is the exchange rate of the UKP sad.gif. I grow mad when I get from the bank my orders to Caterham converted to

French francs mad.gif

During afternoon I completed the installation of the oil temperature monitoring using the water gauge thanks to a switch. Works well. Seems to be a good idea to keep the engine in good shape.

regards,

Pierre

If it helps Pierre, I too have one of the diagonal cross tubes at the front slightly flattened. It was like it when I got the car. Only noticed it a week later though!!! May have been onto a high kerb or off a jack like yours.

I have made up a large wooden 'plate' that allows the use of a trolley jack in the centre front of the car (which keeps it level) and spreads the load over a wide area!thumbsup.gif

So Fury Beeast, you are back from Frogland! Thanks for the very kind proposal for hospitality. I know you live not too far from Dartford so it would be very convenient thumbsup.gif. I do not know where Arch Motors is located as they might be able to replace the 2 damaged sections. I may stop by and say hello!

It was good to hear from you.

Pierre

Chris, it is quite clear that this kind of accident must not be unusual. One thing to remenber, never work on your car when being jet-lagged ( I was just back from the US by the morning flight and could not spend the afternoon without working on the Seven !).The waxoyled tube did not help too!

I shall now make up the wooden plate you are using cool.gif

regards,

Pierre