Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fire Extinguisher

Julian Bradley

Before I install my new seats, what options are there for locating my fire extinguisher? The bracket was bolted to the floor in front of the passenger seat, but any other ideas? Is there any merit in fitting the bracket to the bulkhead between the seats, or it that just tempting light-fingered passers-by?

Mine is indeed red and handheld.

Madam! Titter ye not!

I'll stick it back in the footwell, providing it's not too intrusive for the passenger (usually Mrs B) and it doesn't restrict the runners. If not, I'll try the between-the-seats option.

Not sure the engine bay is that smart a move - that's where the fire would be, making fire extinguisher inacessible.....how much are plumbed-in systems?

I'd leave it on the floor.

If, heaven forbid, you're involved in an impact of any sort then, depending on the type of extinguisher and the mounting bracket, it has the potential to come flying off and cause more damage, possibly to you or the passenger.

Phoenix, eh?

Yep, and nice and sunny it is too. Well, most of the time - February has been a bit on the damp side but at least it means we've got 50% of the annual rain fall out of the way already !! *thumbup* 😬

Finally got the Westfield insured for use over here so it's coming out to play at the weekend *thumbup*

They must luuuuurve that out there! I guess you can get it on the back of the average pickup

Yep, I certainly get some funny looks when I'm out in it ! Not least because it's right hand drive and has UK plates and a GB sticker on the back....

Any bends in the roads?

Not many, unless you head up north of Sedona into Oak Creek Canyon or venture north of Payson. Very pretty up there.

But while the roads are boring, there are plenty of track events to keep me amused !!

I'm surprised it's legal there!

I think if I was trying to keep the car there permanently it would be a harder proposition. As it is, it's only been imported as a temporary personal import for 12 months which gives it certain exemptions from federal safety standards, etc. You can import the parts as a kit and then build it, but it's not easy in some states to get it licenced.

Also (& forgive me for being stoutist) but is there an issue with Americans and Westfields?

Wouldn't know, as no Merkins have tried it for size yet ! I should probably point out that I'm a Brit *thumbup* Company sent me over here for two years and made the fatal mistake of not specifying what could and couldn't go in the container along with our personal odds and sods ! 😬 So I decided to bring the car out for 12 months (any longer is difficult - see above) and have some fun with it.

That said, I'm not exactly delicate (6'3" and *cough* stone) but I find there's plenty of room in there. Caterhams are, for me, a little too snug, although I've yet to try an SV.

Nick

Can't you load it back in a container, send it on a long boat trip that miraculously ends back up in the states and have it as a personal import for another 12 months?

Graham

*confused* Competition Secretary *confused*

*cool* Lydden, Curborough, MIRA, Llandow, Loton Park, Curborough, Aintree...What more can you ask for? *cool*

Julian - *thumbup* 😬 😬

Mr Butty - sadly it's not that easy ☹️ I need to prove to the Merkins that it's gone back from whence it came on the shipping papers. It can't for example, make its way to Mexico and then re-enter from there.