Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ali Cleaning

Seven in SA

Hello,

I use (although not for about a year) Mothers to clean my ali, as it's about all I can get over here. I understand from previous threads that Mothers provides the best results when the ali is all clean and already polished a bit. Now my parents are due to visit and I would like him to bring something with him that would help get the ali all clean before I slap on the Mothers. Whilst he is bringing my mum I don't think she would appreciate spending her holiday in the garage cleaning *eek*.

The other thing is that this must be available at Halfrauds as my dad won't know anywhere else.

Does any one have any suggestions

Cheers

Nic

My fave is Solvol Autosol, which is a fine polishing paste. I think it is the best of the retail polishes.

If the thing is really rough, I would go down the road of "proper" metal polishing. Metal finishing eqpt suppliers have a range of pastes for exactly this purpose. You might have to buy a large qty, but you will get a good result. I'm sure they exist in RSA, it's an industialised society after all.

Alternatively get some 1200 grit wet & dry from a motor factor and use it, lubricated with a spot of oil, on the really rough bits. This will leave a smooth slightly cloudy finish that you can bring to a mirror shine with the finishing polish of your choice. This is waht car sprayers use.

I have used Mothers and it does do a great job ...run out at the moment ....so I tried some "Mer" that my wife bought for her car ....it seems to be recommended for all sorts of uses ....I tried it on a small inconspicuose place first and was pleased with the result....so did the whole bonnet at the weekend !! it looks great and feels pretty smooth.....and shiney ....now i can get dressed in the garage as the car doubles up as a mirror !

• Area Representative

You're all talking pants *wink*

The best ali polish is Belgom Alu.

Not available in Halfrauds I'm afraid Nic, but you could order some from here and maybe get it delivered to your folks before they come to visit.

Crudders

Edited by - crudders on 27 Feb 2003 14:23:47

Vienna lime is of similar appearance to talc , but I dont think I would put on my temple of a body *wink* , I dab the cloth in the lime , and one gentle rub brings all the black horrid stuff off without any elbow grease . Others have said that flour can be used ??? .

I bought both the Alum and lime from M&P motorcycles . Do a Google search to find their mail order number .

Dave