Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec engine out - what would you change?

ChrisC

It's more a question about service parts, like engine mounting rubbers and CRBs.   I am not looking for upgrades. 

The engine is out due to a gearbox warranty issue which CC is dealing with, given it was a kit build the engine removal is down to me hence the question.  

Everything looks fine, and worked fine up until the removal.   Its now about planning the reinstall.    That said, I have had a rear shock let go (oil all over the garage floor) since the engine was removed. 

I have had no problems with cooling (since I fitted a 82 degree stat at the first service).  

If it's not already present, heat-shielding for the rear of the engine bay and the transmission tunnel is the only thing that springs to my mind.

I appreciate that accepted practice for many is to change the CRB whenever the engine comes out, but if it was me I wouldn't bother after so few miles.  

FWIW ...

Adam

Until you mentioned Warranty, I was going to suggest changing the flywheel for a lighter one, it makes a huge difference as the engine is quicker to speed up and to slow down, which means better acceleration and quicker gearchanges up the box. 

But that is out, given you want to retain the warranty, otherwise have a word with CC and see what they say? 

Always makes me chuckle re extra clearance  !  I can see the benefit of dry sump for racing but when people keep on about clearance for road use it baffles me ! So you miss the sleeping policeman with the engine but it must make you jump when you get hooked on the gearbox bellhousing . 

I must have been lucky so far I've never hit anything hard with my wet sump ! I've slowly slid it over speed humps and a log that was thicker than I thought  ! 

Er no John,

I'm not talking about sleeping policeman,

The Duratec is mounted slightly nose down, so under full compression on a B road you can kiss a cats eye or the crown,no danger of catching the gearbox here though.

Many have fallen foul and taken the front left hand corner off the wet sump, some even taking the oil pump out too.......

That's besides the damage the wet sump inflicts on the big ends as it contributes to oil pressure fluctuations, which the stock CC gauge doesn't show due to its short scale and heavily damped function, Lots in the archives on this and I spent a long time looking at options and proving the origin of the fault.

You wont be chuckling whilst sat in a pool of oil at the roadside.....