Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which way round?

Chris W

Being as sharp as a tennis ball, it has only just occurred to me that the tyres (Avon ZZ1 205/45/R16) on my new SV are directional. Ergo, if I should have a puncture, the spare would only be correctly aligned directionally if fitted on the passenger side.

If a puncture should occur therefore on the driver's side, is it OK to run the spare on that side temporarily to get me home even though it would be rotating in the opposite direction to that intended?

Questions:

1. Is it safe?

2. Is it legal?

3. Would I notice any difference in handling?

4. What is the max safe distance that would be OK (if any)?

5. What is the max safe speed that would be OK (if any)?

6. Will it damage the spare tyre (assuming I don't drive like I normally do!)?

7. Given a choice, should I fit it on the front or rear or it makes no difference? (Actually thinking about, this might require two jacks - so forget it)

8. Anything else relevant that I missed?

thks

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 26 Feb 2003 23:36:05

i reckon it would be okay chris, as long as it was just 'a temporary get you home fix'

1) at low speeds, sure

2) cant see why not if its got legal tread depth

3) in the wet yes - i think directional tread patterns are to aid water dispersal?

4) distance wise, I would hope it would last much like the others

5) aah, now your talking - thats up to driver feedback/bravery in the conditions.

6) dont know - different sidewall construction to normal 'both ways tyres' ?

7) in rwd land im not sure, but normally i would say rear, its nice to steer...

8) getting home would be my biggest concern - hatchbacks and saloons alike are regularly supplied with mountain bike wheels instead of spares, and they seem to work... my SEAT space-saver was not even the same rolling radius as the standard alloy/tyre combo - by almost 2 inches!! now thats dangerous...

Spoke to CC today and asked the same questions

Their answers were

1. Is it safe? yes

2. Is it legal? yes

3. Would I notice any difference in handling? possibly in the wet due to reduced ability to disperse water

4. What is the max safe distance that would be OK (if any)? no issue

5. What is the max safe speed that would be OK (if any)? be sensible

6. Will it damage the spare tyre (assuming I don't drive like I normally do!)? no

7. Given a choice, should I fit it on the front or rear or it makes no difference? (Actually thinking about, this might require two jacks - so forget it) rear if possible - because of steering

8. Anything else relevant that I missed? no

Many thanks for Granteuk's response - you got it on the nail!

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Given that you have a 50% chance of only having a "get you home" situation, if you run directional tyres. Why not save yourself the weight, ditch the tyre and jack and use tyre weld. It's supplied with a few cars as new now anyway, is guaranteed not to hurt your tyre or wheel and saves you the expense of another tyre. (4+1)

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

S5EVN