Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Master Switch Wiring Question

Lambretta

Hi all

Getting ready for more 7 use this year and I have a battery switch kit from a while back. It is complete other than the thin wires. 

Si it looks like I need brown, green, black (enough for 2 wires) and white (enough for 2 wires. Actually 2 questions:

1. Will 1 metre of each colour do the job?

2. What rating or thickness do I need. I have seen ratings from 16 amp upwards with conductor thickness of 1mm sq and up. 

Many thanks in advance

Roger

Actually one last one.  Assuming placing in the normal position in the triangle of the windscreen frame which way up should the switch be fitted. Seems like people have mounted them in just about all of the 90 degree options.

The wiring method all depends on how you are going to use it.

The couple of posts about just connecting the large red cables, are only suitable for Battery Isolation with the engine turned off.

If you are intending that the switch can also be used as a kill switch then you also need to wire the N/O contact in series with the ignition switch position 2 wires ( on mine these are the two plain white cables on the ignition switch)

One side of the N/C contact is linked from the alternator site of the master switch, the other side has a resistor fitted to dump the alternator voltage when the switch is operated with the engine running.

Check out the guides section for a step by step guide here

The switch should be mounted such that it can be used to stop the engine and/or isolate the electrics and stop the fuel pump (especially a carb car without an ECU) after an accident, either by the driver or 3rd party, e.g. a marshal at a competition/event.  Within the windscreen stanchion/triangle on the driver's side is usually chosen for this reason with a large sign showing its location and direction to turn to switch off indicated.

Paul

Many thanks for your replies all. I really appreciate them.

So as I see it I can either mount it in the prescribed place by the windscreen frame. This is the ideal place to have a kill switch and it would have to be fitted with the smaller wires and resistors.

Or I can put it out of sight, e.g. under the dash. In this case the chance of someone locating it in an emergency would be nil and I may as well just install the additional battery cable but would have to remember not to switch off with the battery running.

I am torn between the full installation but having to remember to take the key out every time I park the car or putting it out of sight so that I only remove it when I leave the car in the garage. I am leaning towards the latter - although may still add the extra wires. I don't do tracks often but I do kill batteries by leaving them connected for long periods.

Any suggestions on the thin wire gauges? 

I will go and check my wire gauge in a minute and report back.  If you do put it under the dash where I have mine then I would recommend taking it out every time you park up and not just in the garage.  Last thing you need is some prankster taking the red key and leaving you stranded.

Andrew

I find it easier to have the full master switch so that when I leave the car parked I can turn everything off ,ie. lights intercom etc in one operation.Also taking the master switch key with you is an additional anti theft device,I have been known to leave the ignition keys in though.After a while it becomes second nature and while away from the car it takes away nagging doubt ,did I turn the lights off etc.

Bear in mind that if you place it in the triangle of the screen stanchion (or in that area if you don't have a screen) that you can't reach it if you have a harness done up (a likely frustration if forgetting it's 'off' when 'setting off' !)

I have one of the old Caterham key rings with a small carabena on for my caterham. I've fitted a key ring onto the master switch so when i remove it i can clip it onto the keys. Never worry about having switched the lights off. Saying that before I fitted the key ring onto the master switch managed to drop it and lose it whilst out. Thankfully another Caterham owner had a spare.