Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cooltek Exhaust Wrap - How Much?

c7kjt

Kevin, using "Cool It/Termo-Tec" exhaust wrap, I've tried both 25mm and 50mm rolls. With hind sight I think the 25mm was easier. It comes in 50ft rolls and whilst there is a equation to calculate how much length is required for each primay, I've found it easier to cut the roll into quarters, since the odd bit that is left over will never have have a job waiting for it.

Do not buy those silly snap ties they advertise, as they are about as useful as a chocolate fire guard and are designed to cut your fingers at every opportunity - two jubilee clips, for each pipe works well.

You will need to moisten the wrap prior to application and when dry it should be sprayed with some form of heat shield coating.

Two words of warning...

a). Don't make a shopping trip your first run after insulating the exhaust. Sitting in slow moving traffic is highly embarrassing, as clouds of smoke will start creeping out of the bonnet while the material cures.

b). The material survives well enough, providing you make a point of not dragging the pipes through holes - it has no great rub resistance and therefore will fray.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

KEVIN

one thing you must remember is to wear rubber gloves when you use this stuff ,

and don't touch your knob or go for a PP. very hard not to when you have rubber gloves on i'm told 😬

all joking apart you will itch all over if you don't take care.

Kevin

I may have put too much on mine, but went through a pack and a half !

Good idea to leave 25 mm before the ali panelling

Pipes ( on mine anyway ) will move slightly so bear this in mind when wrapping as any areas in contact will wear themselves out

You don't need a clip at one end just start off a bit back from the end, do half a turn then make the second turn over this to trap it. Just like you do with a bandage....

I did this at the engine end and put a clip at the bottom just before it went though the bodywork. I did use the stainless snap ties and they were OK down the bottom as thye're well away from your fingers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just pulled up this post from the archives.

I'm about to buy some CoolTek wrap from Proven Products for my 4 into 1 X-flow exhaust.

From whats already been posted, I guess 15m x 50mm should be fine.

Has anybody treated their wrap. I'm sure I read something a while back about painting the wrap with a coating and then allowing the exhausts heat to cure it.

I think the coating was to harden and protect the wrap???

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!

You can paint it if you want, i prefer not to .if you do paint it it will stop you getting the fibbers on you every time you toutch it .

TOM it reduces the heat under the bonnet a great deal.

The stuff was pretty easy to fit, just a bit fiddly finishing off at the panel end. Had to wrap the centre pipes as one given the zero clearance. Will take a photo and put on my website if anyones interested.

So far so good!

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

www.7gallery.co.uk