Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll Bar Debate 2018

AndrewB

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the club should buy half a dozen or so standard bars out of their £180K+ subscription income for 2018, so new members can spec an FIA bar/boot cover with their build and borrow the Club bars to get them through the IVA test.

There may be several members willing to donate their standard bars if the club bought them an FIA bar!

Ian

Hello Jim , that's interesting that your car passed its IVA test with a cross FIA Rollbar  ! Where did you take it ? Because l was told by CC at Crawley that if presented to test with an FIA bar it's an instant fail due to restricted rear vision ! 

Hi John, I had a look at the IVA Bible again after your post. 

My brain now hurts! But from my (possibly flawed) re-reading, it seems that IVA rules carry a pretty convoluted description covering many situations.  However, I think the guts of this test for a Seven, is that the car centre point has to be located 60 meters away from a wall.  On the wall there should be a rectangle marked out.  The rectangle goes from the floor, up to the height of the rear view interior mirror.  The rectangle is also 20 meters wide.

If the examiner sees any obstruction to his mirror-view of the rectangle on the wall that is 60 meters behind him, it's a fail. 

I haven't tried to validate this from my driver seat as the car is locked and covered up, but my gut tells me that a clear view of something so far back, even with the FIA Bar, may not be a problem. 

Perhaps CC  have encountered a very short IVA examiner, in which case I'd pop in a driver seat booster cushion to give a pass : )

• Area Representative

Both my cars - a  2001 1.6K Supersport & of late a R400D both passed the SVA/IVA fitted with the track roll bar (aka FIA Bar).

In 2001 the inspector (a Mr Jobs Worth of the highest order) concluded that there was difficulty with rear vision but conceded that the door mirrors overcame the problem as long as I drove without the hood!

With the R400D the rear vision was not even checked & the inspector took the car for a very spirited drive around the confines of the test centre sans bonnet without obviously looking at the rear view mirror.

Both tests were at Gillingham........where the ever changing grey area IVA for Sevens exists.

If you have the rear view mirror in the normal place at the top of the windscreen the diagonal does obscure the rear view, so I flipped my mirror and mounted it at the bottom of the screen akin to a central aero mirror and it clears a treat.

Weather or not a central mirror is compulsory for IVA I don't know as its not for MOT so long as you have a river mirror and either center rear view or left hand mirror.

I think it's the central mirror is normally fixed where the sidescreens are removable with the normal mirrors , My first seven had studding on the top hinge with a nut to stop the sidescreen from being removed  ! I was told by the first owner it was done for the IVA because the tester wasn't happy they could be removed without a tool.

Mine passed SVA (as it was in 2001) with mirrors on side-screens, secured by a nut on a length of studding through the top hinge on both sides.

And of course, as soon as I removed the studding and replaced with the normal pin, I managed to somehow twice kick off the screen off as I got out, despite 10 yrs using similar cars with similar side screens . . .