Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help ! Clutch cable snapped & clutch end metal thingy lost in clutch housing

BWJ777

It's a 1.6 K series + 6 speed 1998

tech know how OK but not brilliant, (bodies more my thing)

Big hands but good eye sight

Questions..........

A) Where do I buy a new cable locally (Manchester / Stockport)

anyone got a part number

B) Happy I can fit it, but any tips finding the little metal end, assusmed to have dropped/snapped off & fallen in. Will try torch & long magnet later tonight

Great day for driving until.................

But, some nice BMW garage lent me a car (so there not all W***ers)

Bruce , Self Drive ROLLER COASTER Owner *cool* R300 FUN

• Area Representative

BW,

I've had the same kind of problem, it happened when I was making a routine inspection of the peddle box area and droped a screw down into the bell housing. Removing the rubber cover on top of the bell housing with metal clip inside didnt help, but removing the starter motor and 1 1/2" ally billet spacer did. I used a strightened coat hanger with a smashed up bit of fish tank glass cleaning magnet..... After collecting the offending little *mad*ard I was well chuffed. I wish you well, kinda took me back to "hook a duck" as a kid at Goose Fair Nottingham. Just a thought, is the offending object metalic of lead *idea*

pee wee

It happened to me six months ago in the middle of nowhere in Sri Lanka. I had to have a local work shop turn a new piece out on a lathe and then braze it on. *confused* it is still holding today *thumbup*

I lost the clip from inside the rubber cover into the box. *mad*

The solution *idea* I found a lady that didn't mind getting oil on her hands. 5 seconds later, hey presto. *thumbup*

Good luck

• Leadership Team

Bruce,

Make sure you also retrieve the small rubber grommet that holds the cable end "up" in the clutch arm - if it's not still in position, it too will be down at the bottom with Gollum *confused*

Come along to the bolton meet on Wednesday (5th) and update us on how you've got on?

Stu.

I have to say that I was advised to carry a spare clutch and accelerator cable in the boot and do so now. *thumbup*

I have had cause to use the original 'spare' as the clutch got stiffer & stiffer to use. It was the nylon outer covering that they fit to the inner steel wire that had worn and 'puckered ' up causing monumental drag!!!

As to the problem a magnet on a stick (about 3 quid at the market tool stand) may help.

*smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile*

Ohh Yeh...........................

Jacked up front end

bent the magnet on a stick thing (r shape)

then went fishing

found gold hiding under the clutch plate

*smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile*

Now all I need is Caterham to post me that cable.

Thanks again everyone!

Bruce , Self Drive ROLLER COASTER Owner *cool* R300 FUN