Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stack Gauge Needle Repair

RyCliff

Hi Everyone,

I've been using my car for the last year with a snapped rev counter needle, which I'd like to get sorted before the driving season starts again. The gauge is a Stack ST700 which has been a good unit and hence looking to repair rather then replace.

Anyway, has anyone ever taken one of these units or similar apart? Or could someone point me in the direction of someone who could fix something like this?

Thanks for any help and hope everyone has a suitably car related festive break!

• Support Team

The first time this happened on my ST8130, Stack assured me "this never happens sir" *rofl*

Mines currently in the same state again! When I get round to removing it from the car I'll be sending it to 213 Performance to be fixed. Don't forget there's a discount with them if you get it done before end of Jan.

Thanks for the info everyone. They're the guys I spoke to a year ago about sorting it and was quoted around £200 Inc vat, hopefully the club discount brings that down a little.

Shame to hear about similar problems, makes me wonder whether I replace the original speedo and get an original rev counter in too. Although I've heard they're even less reliable!

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple of pictures of the Stack dash out of the car. As I couldn’t find any useful pictures of the back of the unit these might help someone in the future.

The four bolts protruding out of the lower corners of the unit are secured to two brackets using 5.5mm nuts.  As explained earlier in the thread once everything is undone the unit still fits securely between the steering column and the top of the scuttle. Some gentle persuasion and pressure from behind the unit will free it and it will slide out of the dash towards the drivers seat.8E60E74D-30D8-4A9F-95B9-0475EF00E93D.jpeg.676057e1422f3a9a35445a5fe3a085c7.jpegE65BB0D7-F0FC-49B1-A28C-59A4DE4A8EEA.jpeg.5177e62bc295c685a3751958e0d1f43e.jpeg

• Leadership Team

You remove the seat to adopt the official inverted head-in-footwell Caterham maintenance position?

Real men do it with the seat in place and a tighter fold in the midriff area... Headtorch is the way to go.  Getting out is even more fun than the insertion process!

(That said - is it just me or does anyone else get sudden attacks of claustrophobia when down there?)

James