Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec CRB seal

ChrisC

While my gearbox is out I noticed the oil seal on the back of the CRB has lost its spring round the circumference.   Its the hydraulic concentric bearing (from a Mondeo V6).   I had no clutch problems, or CRB problems in uses, and the car has only covered 1500 miles since new.   I am not sure why the seal is even there, it’s not like there is any oils from either the gearbox or engine there, I assume the seal has a function in a mondeo, but not a Caterham.  

Is this seal needed in a Caterham? Can I ignore it and reuse the CRB.

The seal is on the CRB slave cylinder, on the back (if you like) of this https://caterhamparts.co.uk/clutch-parts/2221-clutch-bearing-assembly-ford-r400.html. its not on the spacer. I have this spacer https://caterhamparts.co.uk/clutch-parts/4615-spacer-clutch-slave-cylinder-duratec-08-2010.html

The seal must be redundant on the Caterham, the Type 9 gearbox just doesn't have a machined surface on the input shaft for the seal to run on, and holds its own oil.  But as a precaution I have come up with a cunning plan, I have purchased an oil seal of the same size 26mm internal 42mm external, when it arrives I am going to take the garter spring from my £2 purchase and put it on my CRB's oil seal.

Sounds like a plan!  But it's probably worth a call to Tony in Parts just to establish whether the seal is needed at all.

This is what my old slave cylinder (sans seal) looks like:

Concentricslavecylinder_arrow.jpg.abce7acbed2e16e6c3f2ea21f5489a38.jpg

I take it the red arrow indicates where your seal sits?

Unfortunately, I wasn't present when mine was replaced, so can't vouch for the state of either the original (in 2008 kit) or the replacement.   I have the 6-speed, although I imagine that makes no difference?

ETA: I've just found this pic (Mondeo 2.5 V6 FINIS 1504696):

ConcentricslavecylinderMondeo2.5V6FINIS1504696.jpg.bde1253e54df59f45dd00db985f7cc4b.jpg

JV

Yep that's it - I am 100% sure its not needed because there is no oil to seal in that area bell hosing.   Its just part of the original parts design, and not needed on a Caterham.   I must have caught it when I fitted the gearbox initially.    Must be more careful next time.

Many thanks guys

Chris.