Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How much weight saved ?

Ngh30

I have fitted 15" anthracite alloys cr tyres  instead of prisoner alloys. Changed clamshell wings for cycle arches ,  changed leather seats for grp buckets , and removed the spare wheel and carrier . What would the total weight loss be now ? According to the log book it weighed 540kg before ! Also what would the improved 0-60 time be . It's a 1.4 k series . Thanks 

My car (1.8 k) has has carbon arches, carbon cycle wings, carbon nose, tillets, spare wheel carrier removed, 5 speed, jenvys, bride starter, R500 3.2kg flywheel and Odyssey Extreme battery (all prior to my ownership so my £/Kg unaffected) and came with a cornerweight result showing weight of 611kg with driver in, half a tank of fuel and nose cone off.

Don't know the previous owners weight, but assuming he was 85kgs put the weight of the car at 526kg. Not sure of the variance in 1.4k vs. 1.8k

• 3 weeks later...

With regards to wheels it's not only the mass that affects the acceleration - and handling. It's also the inertia.

If you want handling the best way to go is probably to go for 13" wheels. Mike Barnby wheels are the lightest I've seen.

From experience a K-series car with windscreen and doors can be stripped to around 440kgs dry but you need to attend to details such as cutting down the loom to a minimum, to drill out the remaining core from the upper steering column, to source pre-preg old style carbon fibre parts, mill out the hubs between the studs, replace bolts with plastic bolts, aluminium bolts, titanium bolts, drill out the core of the bolts or just shorten them - if they are needed at all. Aero wishbones are lighter that the ordinary - if I remember correctly it was close to two kgs. There's the nasty rubber blocks to angle the rear lights correct. These need to be replaces with carbon. You also need carbon-kevlar seats and and and.... I could go on for ages with the small mods, but...

Does it make the car faster? Well, theoretically it does. At least I know that the limit probably is the drivers talent.

Oh, by the way: ITBs are lighter than the plenum intake. You can also get an alloy crankshaft pulley and a lightweight alternator. You can make up a buccle to tighten the belt from alloy rather than the nasty Rover bit. The batter could be a Lithium battery - one that's more than capable weigs around 1200g. Then, of course, you can loose the windscreen and remove the wiper mechanism - and the wiring for it. Strip the alloy for paint if the car is painted. Loose the boot floor. Limbo has started: How lo can you go?