Click here if you are having website access problems ×

General lighting improvements

Speedtrip

In my quest to improve general lighting arrangements I've now turned my attention to the illumination from the standard clusters. Whilst surfing I've found a few well priced (£20 a pair) LED replacement bulbs for both the brake/side lights and indicators. The only thing is the advert states there're not for road use.  

Is this the case for all LED after market bulbs and is anyone using them? I know replacement LED clusters are available but they're rather expensive.

Lots of people are using replacement LED lamps. Quick check list:

1. Do you care if they're legal, and, if so, are they?
  2. Resistors!
  3. Suitable relay for indicators and flashers. Old ones might not work because of the different load.
  4. Off axis illumination. (All photos appreciated.)
  5. Clear or orange lamp and lens for indicators.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thanks again for your response.

It seems nothing is straight forward when trying to up grade lighting!

Legality wouldn't be too much of a concern, but insurance implication would. On this basis, and bearing in mind my recent 3rd brake light install, I'm probably best leaving things as they are, at least for now.

cheers,

Andy

Andy, are you or have you done anything with the headlights? Mine are woeful (or it may be just my eyes). I have 5.75 inch (I think) with a flat (ish) clear lens (definitely not a standard affair l don’t think) with normal bulbs.

Its on my list though not urgent as limit budget left for 7 as SWMBO has put a stop to my recent spending on account of buying something for the children for Christmas *ranting*