Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlight R wheel centre caps

Nick Bassett

• Leadership Team

Gary, I'd suggest sticking to a direct copy of the original, although yes there is some gap between the rear of the puzzle bolt recess and the locating point on the wheel centre, this varies from wheel to wheel. Amongst my 4 sets of these wheels there are 3 different centre section castings!

Stu.

Gary, I'd suggest sticking to a direct copy of the original, although yes there is some gap between the rear of the puzzle bolt recess and the locating point on the wheel centre, this varies from wheel to wheel. Amongst my 4 sets of these wheels there are 3 different centre section castings!

Understood, I'll have to find out what the most likely shortest one is then and go by that.

Do you need centres for your Caterham 21 HPC wheels? I have a few of the alloy ones as well.

The wheels are on a Ginetta as it happens so I was always going to have to make some bespoke hub caps for the car.  I know...sacrilege!

• Leadership Team

My rims are back from the powder coaters, assembled but yet to be fully bolted together. Wheel centres are gloss, rims are matt.

Still to do ... reseal the weld lines, bolt-in valves, ZZS tyres *clap*

Stu.

FERMuTl.jpg?1

quick update...

I've made a couple of test parts (without the inner cap retainer) that fit the C21 wheels I have.  They fit very nicely and look pretty much factory. 

I've made a slight redesign of the retaining bolt area to accept a countersunk fastener.  It needs to be made that way due to the orientation of the part when printing.  If this bothers anyone I can include some tapered washers that can be bonded in to take it back to the same as the original.

I've ordered a load of countersunk, stainless, socket headed bolts that will look good, provide a measure of security and will be sent out with the wheel centres unless people want to keep a pan headed fastener.

Cheers

Gary

Edit: those black SLR wheels look ace!

Thanks Tom,

Very much appreciate you sending it so I'm really not in a position to be pushy with timeframes. Is it possible for you to leave the small centre cap fitted please?  If not I will order one from Caterham or Redline as they're not expensive.

A quick update and a question for those with these wheels...

Original received from tom so have been able to check dimensions and fitment of the inner cap (all good now).

With the cap fitted to the wheel, does it sit flush with the face or below the surface?  They can be made a little thicker which will make them stiffer and look better too.  The C21 centres I made needed to be 4mm thick to be flush.  The original SLR centre is 3mm thick.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again all,

Now have a design I'm happy with so will make a couple tomorrow and send out to Tom for him to try.  Once he confirms they're good I'll get a decent quantity made and make some sets available.

They will need sanding and painting.  I could do this but the centres/emblems available from Caterham are in silver anyway so you would still end up painting that part making them more expensive for no benefit.

Please Blatmail me with interest if you haven't done so already.

Thanks all

Gary