Click here if you are having website access problems ×

how to fit new gaiters to Rod end on upper wishbone

arty

Are these the ones with a metal ring on the big end?

If so you need a vice and a short length of tube, add some grease and squeeze gently.

The narrow track cars seem to require new rubbers more frequently due to the more acute angle of attachment.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

yep didn't do very well with bathroom drainage pipe, i split the first rubber. I don't have a 3/4 inch drive socket so i can't get the socket to work.

I will try the other in a vice at work but it seems that the small hole of the gaiter won't pass over the stub axle easily when i try to push the riing over. And if i push the narrow hole of rubber over the stub axle first then the rubber diameter spreads out making the sleeve type idea difficult. Its a 2013 car, just in case there was a change. It seems i should have bought the new end.

As i say i will take the other off and take it to work where there is a vice.

Ah ha got it. Place new gaiter /rubber boot over axle. Turn upside down and rest metal rim of boot on open vice [ so that the jaws are just on the metal only. Hammer fairly strongly the back [top] of ball joint.

It worked for me and better than above although as i say i didn't have any pipe the correct diameter nor a socket where the drive is large enought to accomodate the axle diameter

Well done, all I managed to do was split mine. First the ring went out of round, then the boot split when I'd almost got it on. Hey ho, I put the old one back on with a bit of black gaffer wrapped round it. 6 months and several trackdays later, all in one piece and not leaking any grease :-)

If I need to fix it I've decided it's not worth the time and hassle for less than £20 extra to replace the complete rod end.

Roger