Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cutting down a type 9 input shaft

Molecular--Bob

My Duratec project is plodding along and I have reached the point where i need to trial join the engine and gearbox. 

My type 9 is the original one fitted to my crossflow, so has an uncut long input shaft (I think). This means that it projects ~13mm beyond the bellhousing / block mating face. As best I can measure this should only be ~2mm due to the depth of the spigot bearing drilling and where it sits relative to the block mating face.

Just wanting a sanity check on these measurements before i break out the angle grinder as i was struggling with the crank measurements due to how i have the engine mounted on the engine stand.

Ian B

Hi Ian,

I've just measured mine (short input shaft with the short (but not compact) bell-housing) and the shaft projects about 3.5 mm beyond the face of the bell-housing - basically all but about a mm of the chamfered bit is proud of the face.

I hope that helps ...

Adam

Hi Adam

Given the measuring tools available (bit of stick and school ruler) that ties in with my measurements pretty well. I will change the way the engine is hanging and put a battery in my vernier and do it properly, just wanted a sanity check. I measured to where the bore in the crank is still parallel, so the 2mm is probably not a bad estimate.

Hi Mark

I am using a 20mm spacer with the bell housing I bought from you, so effectively the same length as the Caterham supplied Duratec one. Which just requires the spigot part trimming. I think it is essentially the same cut as required with a VX. The clutch disc is fully engaged with the spline which is good, just need to measure everything properly to shim the slave cylinder, then it can go into the car.

Did the old scuttle arrive OK with you? Assume you would have let me know if the couriers had mangled it.

Ian