Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A solution to a problem you'll probably never have ..

ECR

Having just “decked” the block (skimmed it flat) on my 2.0 VX I want to check the piston to valve clearance. I know this can be done by putting a thin layer of plasticine on top of the piston, turning the engine over by hand and then measuring the indent, but I’m never happy accurately measuring plasticine.

Probing the top of a cam bucket with a dial test indicator will be a far more accurate method, but it does require the fitting of a very soft valve spring on the valve to be tested. The space on top of the cam bucket is very restricted and when the DTI is fitted there is even less space. This means that pushing the valve closed by hand to make the check needs to be a very easy task  (the restricted space dictates that).

Sourcing an off the shelf soft spring of the right dimensions and strength proved to be very difficult and so in desperation I constructed a spring from washers of medium density closed cell foam cut with a hole saw. I’ve yet to make the measurements but so far the foam spring is surprisingly effective.

So that’s the solution for the problem you’ll probably never have ….

large_foamspring_0.JPG.db4910f6a1d5a201b4420d875f2652d3.JPG

Is the engine running hydraulic cam followers? 

To measure this accurately you need to run virtually zero valve clearance if running hydraulic followers, or have your valve clearance set if running solid followers.  Alternatively you could remove the cam follower and valve spring and just put a small or O ring round the valve stem or use the stem seal. 

How much have you removed from the block face? 

Basically with a degree wheel mounted on the crankshaft and a TDC mark accurately set,  leave the cam belt off for now.  Starting at 12 degrees BTDC turn the crank in 1 degree increments, measuring the valve drop (light valve contact with the piston). Write these down in a column.  Then measure the valve lifts, starting at 12 degrees BTDC, up to TDC for the exhaust valve and then from TDC round to 12 degrees ATDC.  If you record these values in a column next to the drops, you then take the lifts away from the drops at the same crank angles.  This then give you the clearances for piston to valve.  The closest clearance is the smallest number.  It's worth taking a bit of time to do this right, getting it wrong can be quite expensive, not that I have of course.

Regards

SKC  

It's on solid followers ... I've only removed about 6 thou so I'm not expecting  a problem, just better to check because as you say, the consequences of getting it wrong are severe. 

Some nice suggestions there, thanks  *thumbs_up_thumb*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...