Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice on floor heights

finmac

My son will be driving my car at times and he is 6'3" hence the question.

My car has the honey comb effect insert on drivers side which is raising the floor by a little. First question was how hard it is to remove this potentially? Second question was how hard to fit a lowered driver floor DIY?

I don't know if it's always the case, but on my car the honeycomb was required to provide a level base for the seat because there's a diagonal chassis tube across the floor, above the Al floor skin.

If you don't have the diagonal chassis tube, I don't see why the honeycomb shouldn't be removed, though, going by a recently re-skinned car I've seen, some Al channel section riveted under the floor, mirroring the seat-runners, might not be a bad idea.

I assume, given your son's height, that you need to be able to adjust the seat otherwise I'd suggest ditching the runners and simply fixing the seat in position - with a bit of 'modification' to the seat base that could buy you some height (and save some weight ...).

FWIW ...

Adam

I DIY'd fitting a lowered floor and an air riveter is essential as steel pop rivets are used. You should get a 2cm (or whatever the width of the lower/outer chassis tube) strip of ally cut, same thickness as old floor as you need an infill when you re-rivet the side skin. Also some extra 5/32 ally rivets needed.

As Adam mentions check for the 'race' diagonal brace as this may hinder.

Happy to talk you through the process - drop me an email with your phone number (you have my email address already)

I've promised Aidan he can inherit my seven - I'm 6'2' so hoping he doesn't get too much taller as he could be disappointed!!

Regards

Ian

thanks for the advice gents and kind offer Ian. Have had another look at my car and the honeycomb should be removable and I think I will go for a tall Bar instead (saves having to potentially do both floors.

If I change my mind will get in touch

regards Finlay