Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cats for Cats (1.4 ss)

MikeK

This site is a mine of useful info, and tapping into this mine once again....

I thought that all cars built after 01/03 had to have catalytic converters fitted. So how can a 1994 1.4K supersport with a cat-less competition exhaust pass an MOT test?

I’m sure this must have been asked/answered before, but previous posts do not seem to unambiguously answer/explain this.

I’m looking at buying a 1994 car that is fitted with a side exit competition exhaust that does not have a cat. I would like to understand why this won’t give me future problems when it comes to MOT emissions tests.

Does it make a difference if the car was kit built or built by Caterham?

As always, thanks for any advice.

Mike K

Thanks for the comments. As the car was first registered in 1994 with an SDKRDK chassis number (indicating amature built) I conclude that I don't need a cat! Thanks for the comments about head gaskets- I'll watch out for that.

Mike K

Edited by - MikeK on 28 Feb 2003 00:16:04

My 96 1.4kss has no cat and passed its MoT in August. This may be a function of the tester I used up here in the sticks (I think he gets his emissions tester out for its annual calibration then puts it away again) but I have heard that some cars will pass an emissions test without a cat (carb converted 7s, don't try this at home). In any case you can always have 2 exhausts, one for road/passing the MoT and one "for track use only" (officer).

ISTR a cat is part of Type Approval post 92, but this may not apply to kit cars under the SVA regs. I don't know if it forms part of C&U Regs.

I wouldn't worry, there are ways round this. Worry about other things, like the general state of the car. Be very sure the head gasket is OK. Mine wasn't, they are weak, and if your car still has the Minister tags on it then they will need to come off to do the job. This will devalue the car (ineligible for the race series for a start) unless you have the job done at Minister (full rebuild, £3700,last I heard.) In the face of this, making a second exhaust is trivial.

Good luck, they are worth it in the end. Maybe I'd choose a Vauxhall first, but that's a personal choice.

I'm replacing my exhaust next month with a Cat-less one. I've got a 97 P-reg factory built car and according to Millwood Motor Co. the MOT test depends on what's written on your V5. In the box maked CO2 my V5 is blank, so I think I can get away without the Cat for the MOT. I'll be taking the car to Millwood for a service before then anyway and will check again.

P979TMV - As seen on current Caterham advert, back of LF

*PREVIOUSLY POSTED ON THIS FORUM*

We have received a number of calls regarding emission testing at MOT. Seems a number of centres are too quick to fail Caterhams, much to your, and our, annoyance. We have sought clarification via an industry body, who in turn spoke to the Vehicle Inspectorate. Hopefully, the following information will arm you in preparation...

Section 6.4 of the MOT Testers' Inspection Manual (issue date July 1997) is the current text. It clearly states in paragraph (1) that kit cars and amateur built vehicles are to be treated as pre 1975 vehicles for emissions purposes. This means that ANY amateur built Caterham REGARDLESS of its date of first use or the age of its engine should be subjected to a vehicle smoke test ONLY. Applying any other criteria based on the age of the engine is incorrect.

If anyone experiences a problem with an MOT station and the staff refuse to check their Testers' Manual at that time, the best course of action would be to ask for an 'appeal form'.

Current amateur built vehicles going through SVA have their emissions data recorded on the V5 and discussions are underway as to whether or not these later vehicles (post 1 Jan 1998) should be tested to the standards appropriate to their engine age. As yet, however, no decision has been made.

Post 1 Jan 1998 fully factory built cars will be tested to current emissions requirements as these are regarded as new vehicles.

To assist with identification of either a kit or fully built car, refer to your chassis number - the sixth digit is the key. ALL 17 digit chassis numbers which DO NOT start SDKRDS (eg SDKRDK) are amateur built vehicles and should be tested accordingly.

I hope this information is of interest and please remember that Caterham Aftersales is here to help wherever we can.

SIMON LAMBERT

Aftersales Manager

Jerry Parker

L7SVN

1.4 Supersport

my 99 classic vx has carbs and no cat - it passed its mot in november. it is exempt from emmisions testing though, as all kit built cars are....

i have previously posted on this forum the exact page and paragraph that needs refering to to explian this in the mot handbook. *it is no longer at the place stated in the previous post*. search under 'mot emmisions nightmare' i think.

funny this subject has come up: I have just heard this afternoon from my grandad, an ex-mechanic of 50yrs experience, who was visiting his old garage to have his own car mot'd that the regs are changing again - a line came into the garage only yesterday explaining an imminent change that says 'ALL cars built after 08/1998 will require to pass emmisions, regardless' !!! (unless it can be proved the engine os older).

now I hope he has got this wrong, or the small print was not included, but if correct, it could mean some serious troubles for us 7 owners...

Edited by - granteuk on 26 Feb 2003 22:33:17