Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Creak noise when braking

TomB

I've noticed a creaking noise when braking. Its noticeable at low speeds just before coming to a halt. Its done it for a reasonable while, but coming into winter I could try to do something about it.

It's not the pedal/ M/C as it does not make the noise when static.

I've bounced the suspension and cannot re-create the sound.

I'm struggling to tell whether it's front or rear.

The car is a 1996 dedion - it was re-bushed at the rear a 6-8 years ago, and had new wide track front end fitted a couple of years ago.

Aside from loosening and re-torqueing everything suspension related and regreasing ARB balls, does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

Could actually be the brakes making the noise rather than the suspension? Are the pads all healthy? Was just thinking if you let a car creep forward from stationary down a hill by just relaxing the brake pressure, sometimes the brakes make a noise which could be described as creaking.

The noise appears to be when the brakes are going on, rather than off. My house drive is a gentle slope, and I can creep it down and make the creaking noise. But I'm stumped where it is coming from. It feels like it might be related to the nose dipping, but conversely could be the rear lifting.

There is no pulling to one side on braking, nor any disc scoring. Whilst I can't see at the moment, I'm pretty confident my pads are OK.

I think I'll have to try and borrow a second pair of ears outside the car!

Thanks some pointers. Not sure its handbrake related as its on the foot brake it creaks but it would help to confirm a problem with the rear callipers or pistons. Rubber lube on the ARB bushes (red, cotton reels) could be good.

funnily enough my Mazda 6 does the same thing when its cold , new pads discs have not cured it , it only when its cold and down hill.

Is it the pads moving up slightly in the calipers? Could you drop them out and pop some copperslip on the back (obvs *laugh* ) see if that fixes it.

Nick h