Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suspension Setup Expert - Midlands Region

Andrew Willcox

So with my ex-graduate Caterham through the MOT I’m having my first experience of driving on the road.

I want to understand whether the current track set up with some serious camber angle is appropriate for general road and track use?

Im sure the answer here is to take the car to an expert - can anyone recommend a suitable expert in the Midlands area?

Thoughts and suggestions?

Andrew,

You could take it to McMillan Motorsport near Hinkley. If your car is ex-graduate they will probably already know it!

http://mcmm.co.uk

There is also Bookatrack at Donnington Park who are a little further away. Both are good.

I guess the set up is personal and depends on your car. But i have front, 1mm toe out, 2 1/4 deg camber and 2 + 2 caster. There is 15mm rake front to rear.

Tell McMillan/Bookatrack what you use the car for and they may be able to offer some advice.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chris Perry

My 7 is an ex academy car which was setup for the track when I got it. When I first drove it I remember thinking "Bloomin heck, it's a bit of a hand full" I found I was having to drop my elbows to wedge them into the tunnel and door side to just keep the thing in a straight line at speed. I had owned a live axle 7 for ten years when I was a 'youth' and I just thought I don't remember it being this intensive to drive. I did a 500 mile round trip and the front tyres were worn out on the inner edge.

I got Dave Gemzoe to set it up for more road use and it transformed the road handling of the car -  it was so much better. 

It's now something like 1.5 deg -ve camber on the front and we left the shims in the de-dion rears as there was no undue tyre wear and from memory they gave about 2 deg -ve camber. Toe in was set to about 30 seconds (I think).

There is no "right" answer as driving styles differ but those figures work for me.

Andy

Or my vote goes to Northampton Motorsport,

As a quick fix, I expect it has a fair bit of toe out ( makes it very twitchy on B roads), take some of it out by adjusting both steering arms say 1/2 turn to make it toe in a little more.