Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spinning rivnut removal

sjl1

Started replacing the small bolts holding rear wings on with nylon equivalents today and the lower front wouldn't come out and ended up spinning the rivnut which is a nuisance. Can anyone suggest how to deal with this please?

many thanks

I've just drilled them out previously and replaced them. Try pressing any domed skin around the hole before replacing them, which really isn't difficult with a rivet tool. If the hole is properly Mankee, you're probably better off with repositioning them and putting new Holes in the wing. 

Thanks for the replies, think i will cut the head of the bolt with a dremel and just leave it, dont think it warrants removing the inside panel for just one bolt. I suppose i could  try cutting the outside end of the rivnut off with the dremel and pushing it through without damaging skin, hmmm

Have you tried dosing the bolt with lots of WD40 and leaving to soak so that it penetrates down into the thread (not easy with the wing in place). Then using a a mole wrench try to pull the bolt head outward whist turning anti clockwise. You will need to push the skin around the rivnut inward at the same time to encourage some compression bite. An extra pair of hands might just bring some luck.

Anecdotally I have heard that you can reseat a blind rivnut if you can get a length of threaded steel into the hole with the threads loosely engaged, and then tighten up a washer and bolt on the thread from the outside which recompresses the fixing.  Never tried it myself.

Have you tried dosing the bolt with lots of WD40 and leaving to soak so that it penetrates down into the thread (not easy with the wing in place). Then using a a mole wrench try to pull the bolt head outward whist turning anti clockwise. You will need to push the skin around the rivnut inward at the same time to encourage some compression bite. An extra pair of hands might just bring some luck.

I was wondering about getting some bite by angling. But ordinary WD-40 isn't a very good penetrating oil: how about PlusGas or similar?

Jonathan