Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 speed gearbox reliability from 1996

James D

Have one in a 1997 1.6 Supper sport. Had one serious problem about 12 years ago. Arrived home after an enthusiastic drive and noticed an oil leek from the box. Kendricks and SPC sorted it out. It seems for some undefined reason one of the gear box shafts(they told me which one but I can't remember) had moved during a gear change. The box was then cracked by contact with moving gears. The innards settled themselves back down but I now had a nice crack in the box. SPC repaired and rebuilt the box. Think the total repair costs amounted to about the same as a weeks package holiday to Greece for two. 

R500K year 2000, had mine serviced at Track and Road in about 2010 when Minister refreshed the engine at 24,000 miles. Phil replaced second gear commenting this was quite usual. Did all the syncho too as I recall and perhaps a shaft (hard to recall), but it was all only really beause the engine was coming out anyway and her first 1800 miles were track only and pretty enthusiastic as far as I have been able to discern (e.g. 4 seconds at 12,000 mechanical rpm recorded in the ecu). Since then, no further gearbox work, though I think now something needs doing as when dropping to first and booting it (alpine hairpins) occasionally it jumps out of gear, which is a pita and I think Phil has a fix, but no one seems sure what the cause is. Current mileage 48,000 in 2017.

I agree about not wanting a 5 speed, which I view really as a three speed, 1st is useless and 5th is overdrive so doesn't count - given the narrow R500K power band.

I don't agree with that Oliver: the gearbox is an engine out job, which means unless you do it yourself about £600 "quid in and out", a used gearbox with any significant miles on it is going at some point to need a refresh which, unless you know when that's going to be for other reasons, is going to be expensive when you could have serviced it for relatively little money before installing it; especially if nothing needs replacing, though that's unlikely given it's in bits which itself is an opportunity.

Take control of when it breaks (meaning requires service attention), don't be a victim to it.

All this said I am not aware of there being much supply of Caterham Sixspeeds in the UK.

Anthony

p.s. for future readers: as standard they all have "short" input shafts and are type 9 replacements.

• Support Team

There is one thing to check with any very early boxes and that is that they have a Ford splined input shaft and not a Rover one. Some early boxes used the Rover spline pattern mated to a Rover clutch. These were all supposed to be recalled and replaced but some may have missed the recall. Guess how I know this! *frown*

Hi James

I suspect it is difficult to generalise about reliability​. I drive with mechanical sympathy until up to temperature, then pretty much drive it like it is stolen. My 6 speed, to date, fingers crossed, is fine. A very good friend and all round top bloke, who respects his lovely R400D, had a 6 speed gearbox melt down on a sensible blat last year. My advice is, as long as it has not been raced, and it works nicely, don't worry. Buy it and enjoy, if it needs a rebuild at some point, ces't la vie... *biggrin*

Julian

ps - 6 speed over 5 every time for me!

Thank you all for your comments, after much due consideration my previous caterham (a roadsport with supersport conversion) was traded in for a non raced supersport K1600 6 speed, widetrack, AP big brakes etc.  I await collection next week, but I can easily now see why the 6 speed is chosen.  The ride, the smooth gear changes, the ease of clutch movement, the brakimg assurance, the driveability, it was everything I wished my previous caterham had been, it rides and drives better than my daily car.

As for mechanical sympathy I echo the same, sometimes a tad too much on my part some might say, but I like to be sure.  You do know Julian, after our discussion at the Fox and Hounds the other week I am blaming you for this change into the 6 speed club.

Kind regards,

James