Click here if you are having website access problems ×

IVA - Should I go to Gillingham or Southampton ?

Bomba

HI, just finished build and completed PBC. Now need to book IVA.

My closest station Yeading is mysterious closed to bookings for H&S reasons so I need to go to Gillingham (next closest) or Southampton.

I know Gillingham is where CC go and they have a pretty tough reputation but does anyone have recent experience of Southampton and does anyone know if they insist on the dreadful collapsible steering wheel being fitted at Southampton ?? 

I don't have any recent experience but I remember from some years ago that Southampton was regarded as 'one to avoid' as much of their experience is of inspecting imported vehicles and not home built Caterhams. IIRC Southampton didn't even appear on the list of SVA places that Caterham supplier with the kit (lol, SVA shows how long ago I am recalling!)

Are you presenting yourself?

I did, and I went to Gillingham. 

I think the reputation isn't fair, yes they know the cars, so they know where they fail and where to look, but they also don't get bogged down with other areas on the car.    Caterham South also know how Gillingham likes to see the car presented, and provided they don't miss anything in the PBC and you follow their instruction you should be fine.     

My tester started with the question "how do you like your tea?", he bent over backwards to try and pass my car, but we ran out of time, leaving me two minor things to fix before a retest (anything within a 6 month window).

One of my minor faults was the steering rack boot rubbed on the bodywork hole at full lock.  The holes needed enlarging something not mentioned in the build manual, also not spotted during PBC or flat floor setup.  So should I blame Gillingham for spotting that.    My other problem was the speedo liked to die at speeds above 30.  Given my car was trailered to the test and not test driven I just didn't know I had that problem, but tried during the test to adjust the sensor with various level of success but not enough success to pass. 

So my vote would be Gillingham, and present the car yourself.

Also I did my paperwork about this time last year, but my IVA test was January (just an FYI).  

Thanks Chris, I am presenting myself and like you say the PBC should have picked up any issues that Gillingham like to see.

I will check the steering rack boot but like you have no idea how reliable the speedo is.

Fingers crossed 

• Area Representative

I had my previous two Sevens IVAd at Gillingham with first time success without the help or intervention of CC in any way. Drove them there & drove them home.

When you present the car it is all a matter of attitude & hopefully the inspector has had a good day so far!

When I presented my present car the first thing the inspector asked was "what do you expect from this IVA?" And I answered "for it to pass with flying colours & for you to advise me on anything that may need my attention  when I get home".

The thing is you MUST be prepared wherever you take the car. Post build check to highlight any glaring errors, take spare protection strips etc, small tool kit & as I have stated a happy disposition.

Whichever test station you use ultimately you could be faced with an inspector who is a right t**t.

In my experience of only using Gillingham, but this may apply elsewhere, there seems to be a routine where the test station reinvents some of the test. 'New' procedures that are not in the test manual for a Seven. Trust me I have read it!  The collapsible steering wheel was one that was not applicable to a Seven at the time I IVAd my last car, it was not mentioned in the manual for a Seven but the insistence was from CC that better to have it fitted & not p**s off the inspectors.

I was of the opinion that Gillingham were thinking up different ploys in the IVA 'grey area' to thwart CC more than the individual who turns up.

Best of luck. 

I used Southampton 2.5 years ago. I got bad vibes from a local motorsport garage before going but found them OK in the end but the local garage was able to tell me thier favourite hates. Whilst my car was on the ramp and the inspector 'went for coffee' they even allowed me to fit some pipe clamps to the charcoal box that 160's have to take fuel when the inertia switch operates - fitted by CC with no clamps, but the Inspector was not having it. You only get one chance to make a first impression so a trick I used was to find out the names of the Inspectors and greet them like long lost buddies in the first instance. 

I had to use the dreaded collapsible steering wheel and when ask if I was going to change it directly after the IVA I  was primed to say No!