Click here if you are having website access problems ×

slicks

fatcat

I'm using used Avons ex the SLR race series, these are not being used from this year on, rears I believe are still 9" but 22" diameter, fronts are still 7 x 13 but a different construction. Used I've been paying £25 for the 7" and £35 for the 9's

Mark

I spoke to BMTR in Brummy about slicks for my car which is on R500 size Barnby wheels which are 6.5J fronts and 8.5J rears. They recommended Avons, not surprisingly as they are main dealers, for this size wheel thy said 7.0/21.0-13 for the fronts and 8.2/22.0-13 for the rears. They thought I should go wider on the back but didc't think wider tyres would fit 8.5 inch rims and I don't think wider wheels will go on without fouling the anti roll bar or sticking out from under the arches. Do the SLR boys really use 9.0 inch slicks on the 8.5 inch wheels?

Prices on their handout are 132 for fronts and 148 for rears. No idea if this is negotiable or whatever, plus vat though.

You'd need to talk to BMTR about what compounds are suitable for what form of competition. The Caterham race slicks are a very hard compound for a race tyre as they're a control tyre. Good for a season of track days perhaps but not for sprinting or hillclimbing.

Guys, thanks for the info, and Mark thanks for the email...

This is going to sound really stupid, but when a spec is 9x20x13, what is the 20 bit ? - just when I understand ordinary tyre specs with the bizarre mixture of inches, millimetres and percentages, it all changes when I go racing *confused*

9x20x13

9" wide

20" diameter

13" wheels

The latest control slicks for the SLRs (or R400s) are 8.2x22x13 rear and a different design of 7x20x13 for the front. The new fronts are supposed to reduce 'pattering' when pushing hard and the rears allow the power to be put down earlier in the corner.

The car in front is a Westfie1d *wink*

It seems conventional to quote crossply sizes in inches and radial in mm, but always width and diameter rather than width and aspect ratio.

So I used to run 9.0/21.0-13 on the front and now I run 210/550R13.

I think the Avon web site carries a lot of detail regarding actual sizes, circumferences etc, which will make everything clear...

Paul