Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Question about Yoko 195/50/R15 82V AD08 Tyres

Piers300

• Area Representative

I have just bought four x 15" Anthracite 10 Spoke Caterham wheels, which have 195/50/R15 82V ADVAN AD08 Yokohama tyres fitted.

I bought these for the 15" rims - not the tyres and know little about the Yokohama's.

I have my original  4 x 10 spoke 15" with 195/45/R15 CR500 Avon's fitted to my 7. There is minimal clearance with the front carbon fibre wheel mudguards brackets and always has been. I suspect the 195/50/R15 will not fit, but I have not tried yet - this weekend.

I understand that the Yoko's AD08's were used for competition and all the tyres have some tread left (between 3.5 and 5 mm) and are in good condition. Would there be a demand for these? 

I intend to fit new 195/45/R15's that I have bought or is there so little difference between 45 and 50 section tyres that the may fit..

I don't do track days and are the AD08's suitable for road use ? How do they compare to the CR500?

Thanks

Piers

Hi Piers,
I have no experience of CR500s, but some experience of AD08s (particularly your new used set ;-) )

These are definitely OK as road tyres. They were popular for a few years in the speed event community as "tyre of choice" in roadgoing classes requiring lower grip MSA List 1A tyres. They have reasonable grip, but not as much as CR500s (and much less than "track day" tyres such as Toyo 888, Yoko A048, Avon ZZR/ZZS etc. which are in MSA List 1B/1C).

I would think CR500s are definitely a much better tyre, and better suited to the 7, by all accounts. However, AD08s will last longer. Unless you are pushing the limits on the road, I would suggest at least try them, if they fit.

With regard fit - they are OK with the 13"/14" standard wingstays, but are dependent on position of the front wings. The greater offset for 15" wheels seems to be the main issue. I would think if your wings are centrally positioned for 15" CR500s, they should fit OK.

• Area Representative

Hi Alan. Thank you for your response and the wheels you sold me, which are awaiting trial fitting this weekend. I will see if they fit the front, as it is already very tight with 45 section tyres.

I have four new CR500 195/45/15 tyres that I bought, as they seem to be getting more difficult to obtain. I will try your old wheels and tyres and if they fit  - great. If not, then I will have the new CR500's fitted to your old rims.  It is good to know the AD08's are good for the road.

Thanks

Piers