Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing paint/powder coat from reverse face/centre seating area on wheels

Shortshift

• Leadership Team

I had one of my wheel sets repainted (it could have been powder coated - I forget which) a year or so ago and they failed to mask off the centre area on the reverse face of the rim that interfaces with the hub.  Ever since, I've had an apparent wheel out-of-balance issue which won't respond to rebalancing and which is most likely caused by the presence of the thin, but presumably, uneven layer of material between the wheel seating surface and the hub.

Any ideas on how to remove?  I'm guessing that this is a job for a machine shop rather than a DIY (can't think of a way to do it and to get back to the original metal surface whilst ensuring geometric and planar flatness).

James

Last winter I did this to a set of SLR wheels. I just sanded it of to bare metal - more or less - with a sander with a not too aggressive sanding pad. You only need to take the powder/ paint off, which with black powder onto a metal wheel was pretty easy not to over do it and take metal off. Not had any problems with imbalance etc.

I had a severe wheel balance issue on my M5 coupled with bad brake judder, this was caused by the same, as the wheels were bolted up the disks distorted. A few minutes with a ‘mouse’ sander and a fine sanding sheet to take the flange back to bare metal and the problem went away.

Oily

• Leadership Team

Thank you all for the suggestions. Mouse sander on order via eBay - any excuse to invest in more toys... Decided that the stripper method might take off more than desired (if you follow my meaning!).

James