Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Torque wrench

huwp

With the exception of the rear hub nuts that require an eye watering 270Nm torque during build, everything else sits below 81Nm.  You may want to have a look at the Build Manual (around page 186) and spec a torque wrench that fits with what you would envisage you will need.

I have a calibrated Draper 30 Nm to 210 Nm which deals with most suspension, wheel nuts, and and A Frame attention. It has a long lever arm which is great at higher torque setting.  But a word of caution, for many under bonnet tinkering type jobs, that wrench is just too long given the restricted access. Also there are many jobs, such as sump plug etc. where you will want to set torques below 30Nm and have something that is short, light, and easy to manipulate. I use a short Draper 10 Nm to 80 Nm for this type of work and it gets regular use..

I don't have the nerve to do things to the engine so what Jim says goes. 

For the build I bought a 1/2" Williams 20 to 140 Nm. And borrowed a big one for the rear hub nuts: there are now several of those in the register of equipment for loan. (Others recommend a lever and known weight... )

NB Club discount at Halfords.

Jonathan

PS: To my disgust I'm now supposed to use a torque wrench on various bits of bikes. So I bought a little 1/4" beauty from Lifeline which covers 2 to 24 Nm. It looks identical to this.

• Area Representative

For my latest build I binned my old torque wrenches & purchased the Halfords Professional reversable wrench with a half inch drive & 40-225 lbf ft/60-300 Nm range.

Good for hub nuts & other high torque loadings.

Also purchased the lower range wrench (8-60 Nm) for all the other requirements.

The Halfords Pro range has always received good reviews & has come top of the pile several times in the Auto Express tests.

Cannot fault them. They are not cheap but get 10% off with the club Halfords Rewards voucher.