Click here if you are having website access problems ×

0-40 or 5-50 synthetic

prs

Which oil is the best to go for, I use my car for road use only. I have been using 0-40 but as I'm about to change the sump baffle thought I would sound out opinion on this first. Have seen threads saying that mixing the oils can cause premature break-up of the foam baffle. Phil

Which engine? If K-series, stick with the 0W40 and this is important.

The engine is designed for 30 or 40 weight oil. 50 is worse. It is a less good oil for the purposes of lubricating a k-series engine. 0W or 5W is the cold characteristic. Both are acceptable.

The foam baffle is surrounded by controversy. My current view is:

- it doesn't do anything apart from help remove aeration

- if you have an Apollo tank you could risk not refitting it and forget all worries about foam break up

- the breakup mechanism is probably related to the oil getting really hot - which it will do on a motorway blast or on trackdays; bulk oil temps of 120 degrees happen and are out of design parameters for practically everything from head gasket to bearings.

- best thing to do is fit a laminova oil cooler.

I asked the same question, about which oil, yesterday when my SV 1.8K 140hp had its 500 mile service (BTW - yippee, they told me I can now open it up throttle-wise).

Simon Lambert told me to use Comma Syner-Z Synthetic 0w-40 for road use, which is actually the same oil specified in my handbook.

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 25 Feb 2003 20:18:02