Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil volume in a 620 SV and missing finger filter

Mucus72

Hi all,

At the weekend I helped a friend with his oil service. He has a 620 SV and I hav a 420 SV. On my last oil change I managed to extract over 7 litres of oil. From a combination of pela pump extraction from the cheese wedge shaped oil tank and the finger filter at the rear LHS of the dry sump.

On the 620 SV I peered into the cylinder shaped oil tank and "felt" that he was running low on oil. With engine running it was making a gurgling sound and I couldn't see the oil level easily below the top baffle hole.

The damn Pela didn't want to play ball with this oil tank, as I couldn't get it to pass through the second baffle and on to the bottom of the tank. Quite frustrating, like fishing in the dark without bait on the rod ;)

We removed 2 litres this way, but the tank was not empty.

I then got under his car and was expecting to see the finger filter black cover/gasket, but he doesn't have one. Which is interesting and I was wondering, for my first question, why it doesn't have one, when they are both 2 litre Duratecs and the basics are identical?

So we removed the inlet and outlet oil hoses and drained what we could, whilst the engine oil was still warm. We removed another 3 litres, making a total of 5.

The oil hose routing is different, but the hoses looked a similar length. The oil tank is obviously a different shape, but roughly didn't look too different from a volume perspective.

So, what is the normal volume of oil (roughly) in a 620 please?

We didn't have (unfortunately) a second 5 ltr new oil can to try to fill to just under the top baffle, but its on order, as its still running low in my opinion.

Would we expect to get 7 litres in roughly, or is 5 litres OK?

Thanks

Marcus