Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track data logging and analysis

Blue_SV

Hi

I would appreciate some advice on data logging and analysis software. Listening to others, the best 'upgrade' to improve times is an investment in the driver.. I use video but I feel some detailed position data on the track will help alongside the video. I have high-speed GPS for accurate positions/speed etc.  I am thinking along the lines of comparing speeds/braking/acceleration. 

I know some folk use Harrys Lap Timer and Racechrono gets a mention; Circuit Tools looks good but I do not have a VBOX and so I am not sure how to record the data and import. Before buying any apps, I would be keen to hear others views on pros/cons etc.

We are doing the Anglesey Track Day and ahead of the two sprints so it will be a chance to test out this approach.

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Jon

• Area Representative

Jon,

Whilst not a cheap option, I use a race technology DL1 data logger. The analysis software is a free download.

The basic DL1 alone uses a combination of GPS and built in accelerometers to work out speed and position. Its very useful to overlay one run over another and compare speed at particular points. It's even more useful when you have two drivers sharing the same car. When Tom and I regularly shared, we learned from each other. You should also be able to compare data with drivers of other cars if they'll share.....

The DL1 also has the capability to accept additional channels. I record rpm, throttle position, brake pressure, all four wheel, oil pressure, and steering angle (which I never look at - I can see all I need from my video). 

I bought my DL1 2nd hand. Its not unusual to see DL1's change hands for around the £300 mark.

Hi Jon

I have been using RaceChrono for a couple of seasons on an Android tablet linked to  bluetooth gps receiver. If you already have a tablet or an android phone this is quite a low cost solution. The data is immediately available to view on the tablet at the end of a run without having upload to a laptop.

You can overlay runs and plot the time difference at all point in the run. The pro version let's you sync the data with video.

You can also set a reference lap which could be your fastest run from a previous season and overlay this on the current event.

Below are some pictures of the data, from Gurston this year.

Screenshot_2017-09-26-18-04-28.png.f8ef4a0f131da68565fd1ad73511dac4.png

Screenshot_2017-09-26-18-04-46.png.cb275fc6fdb11075424cef413a433c0c.png

Hi Jon

I am currently using Harry's Lap Timer. I am still learning its capabilities but as far as I can see there is little difference between Harry's Lap Timer and RaceChrono. The reason I chose Harry's is that it was written for an iphone/ipad and RaceChrono was written for an Android device. There is now a version of Harry's for Android but it always seems to lag behingd the iphone version for developments.I suspect that Racechrono will also have a version for iphones.

I particularly like the way that Harry's shows the sideways G as a green/yellow/red shaded area. An advantage of both of these Apps are that you can set up your own track. Although Harry's has a huge database of tracks you can develop your own (or modify one from the database).

In both of these apps you need a separate GPS and a phone or tablet. You will also have to make sure that they are bluetoothed together at the start of the run but you can set it up in the paddock before you go out and just leave it while you compete.

If you decide to go down this route you should look at the respective websites before you take the plunge as they both have a lot of information about their products.

• 1 month later...

Last weekend I played around with Harry’s laptimer and I found it really easy to use, and really easy to overlay. Last time I used it was years and years ago, and my iPhone at the time (3GS) had neither the grunt or space to make this really viable. On my 32GB iPhone 7 it was a breeze and simple to sync and link GoPro video to it. 

I have 2 queries though. Above it’s mentioned that an external Bluetooth GPS is needed. Is this because it’s quicker and more accurate than the GPS in the iPhone? It seemed to work ok for me at Blyton Park just from the phone. 

And secondly I spoke directly to Harry afterwards by email (he’s very responsive) as I want to now play with overlay of OBDIi data from the car, brake, throttle, revs etc. 

He advised me to buy the PLX Kiwi3. Now I haven’t bothered yet, because older posts in here imply that the Caterham ECUs don’t output OBD data like this at all. 

Does anyone have any experience here before I waste cash on something that won’t work?

thanks

Marcus

Marcus

The GPS in most phones updates at 1hz, i.e once per second which is fine for Sat Nav but the car travels a long way in a second and you won't get enough accuracy to compare laps. The blue tooth gps receivers work at 10hz  giving an update every tenth of a second.

Can't help on the OBD i'm afraid.

Graham