Click here if you are having website access problems ×

plumbing of Landrover PRRT into K-series

rj

Les,

YHM.

Jonathan, now I do. Many thanks. That was about what I had figured out myself, so I'm confident now :-)

I am also going to fit an electric water pump that kiks in if the temperature rises after stopping the car. I have had a few issues on trackdays in cold-ish weather. Temperature is rock steady whilst on the circuit, but when the car gets to the pit it overheats. Fan goes on as it should (and runs the right way) but still it blows off the water (!) *grumpy*.

I will be altering the wiring to enable the fan to run with engine off - and the external water pump will be in the same circuit. The old thermostat housing will be replaced with a home made fitting that goes directly to the external water pump.

If this does not cure the overheating scrapyard will be next measure taken*curse*.

• Area Representative
I have wondered, several times, if it might be worth having an electric watr pump on a parallel conduit, which operated on an over-run; so would distribute heat aftrr the engine was switched off. After a hard session on track, does anyone worry about localised hot-spots cooling differentially?

• 2 weeks later...

So,

I plumbed in the remote thermostat, removed the old thermostat housing and fabricated a tube that connected to an electric water pump like this

http://daviescraig.com.au/product/ewp80-electric-water-pump/ewp80-electric-water-pump

The pump is just operated by a thermo-contact off an Audi; it was supposed to switch on at 85 degrees and off at 80, but in reality on is at 68 off at 58. I have braced in a brass boss in the water rail at the straight piece between header 2 & 3.

I was off to a trackday yesterday. We were a total of five drivers, the car was well hooned and had its breaks, where it used to overheat whilst idling in the paddoc. We simply stopped the engine but left ignition on which enables the fan and the electric pump to run. (I have yet to alter the wiring to leave power for fan (and now water pump on with ignition off)

The maximum temperature ever seen was 83 degrees - and on the circuit the temperature was rock steady at 75 degrees, just like before.

Problem solved.

Only downside is the extra weight of the pump and water but if it saves the engine I can live with it.