Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dinitrol vs Waxoyl

Nick Woods

Having used and advocated Waxoyl for quite some time, I was wondering about trying some Dinitrol instead. The reason being that I find Waxoyl is great when you have a fairly open area to protect but I find its ability to creep through small gaps is poor, even when diluted 50:50 with white spirit and heated up.

Frosts sell dinitrol in aerosol cans here and the makers website is here, and its claimed to have good 'creeping' properties (I'm looking at the 'ML' stuff)

Has anyone tried Dinitrol and do they prefer it to Waxoyl, or is it basically the same stuff ?

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

Edited by - Nick Woods on 25 Feb 2003 09:31:13

Not the same stuff. I bought a couple of aerosols from Frosts. There is a thinner one which creeps well. It is a dark colour and dries a bit sticky, rather less attractive than Waxoyl. There is a heavy metallic one which foams a bit when first squirted. It dries to a solid bronze colour and forms a hard wax coat, much more durable than Waxoyl.

We have tried ACF 50 which is an aircraft anti corrosion treatment obtainable from http://www.transair.co.uk/system/index.html.

Can be brought in aerosol form or in liquid and is easy to apply with a rag. Leaves a slightly tacky clear surface. A bit expensive compared to Waxoil but goes a long way.

So far so good - but not on long enough to say if it is any better than the other treatments.

Al

Nick,

If you want I could arrange for you to get your car onto Jason's lift one Saturday. This makes life so much easier and he has an air line waxoyl can that blasts the waxoyl into every crevice you could imagine. It's even black waxoyl.

I'm sure he'd agree to this in exchange for a trip in the car.

Nifty.