Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wheels for Sprinting

Paul Bowden

I need some wheels/tyres to start my career in sprinting 😬 😬

As ever the more I research the more confused I get. I have a standard Super light and so I believe I want 6x13 front and rear although some seem to suggest 7X13 rears. Tyres seem to be the simple bit Bridgestone RE720 185x60. So what wheels to buy. I have done a search on Blatchat and there does not seem to be a consensus but this seems to be the general idea

K N Minitors ...cheapest pretty good

Compomotive ML... bit dearer, a competition wheel , where as KN is a road wheel

Superlite.. Not sure where they fit in for price quality.single piece or 3 piece

Also there has been mention of the need for spacers and possible issues with fitting over the larger brakes fitted to a Super light.

Steel inserts some have them some don't , do I need them and if so which has them.

So 6X13 all round?

Which wheel to buy don't want to use spacers

Will they fit over the brakes

*confused* *confused* *confused* Confused of Cambridge

Paul - last year was my first doing sprints (in a superlight btw) and I did 2 rounds of the l7 championship I ran KN minators as supplied by caterham with yoko 32's, 13*6 all round and this was good enough for 2 second places

this year I will be using the same wheels but with acb10's to try and improve on my bridesmaid position *wink*

IMO i think these are perfectly fine, sure they are not the lightest of wheel but similarly they are not the heaviest

so as Peter says what si wrong with your current set

if you are sprinting for the first time I suspect that the extra few thousands off your time byhaving really light wheels will not make all that much difference, I think you should just go out and see if you enjoy it first before splashing the cash *smile*

rob

Edited by - robmar on 25 Feb 2003 09:47:01

Did a full season sprinting last year, mostly on 6x13 Minators with Yoko 539's - coped well with a nearly 200bhp K. If you're starting out and running in list 1A events then I think tyres and wheels are one of the least influential variables. I also tried running RE720's later in the season for no other reason than they seemed very popular and not many we're using the Yokos. I could detect no significant difference and now the Yokos seemed to be gaining in popularity ( they were a relatively new tyre ).

Wider rears - either 205/60's on 13" or 195 or 205/50's on 15" - may give you better traction off the line etc. but if you're in a "standard" SL then I don't think this needs to be a major initial concern. I've ended up with a garage full of wheels and no real clue yet as to which is the optimum setup.... *confused* My advice, for what it's worth, is to get out there and do as many events as you can with a straightforward combination and then see where you want to go 😬

On the other hand..........I bought a set of Prisoners last year just to go 15 inch to fit Bridgestone Potenzas SO2 which were (still are?) de rigeur with the serious "roadgoing" national hillclimbers.

I now regret it because they're not the lightest of wheels and I'm now thinking about lighter 15" wheels such as OZ Superleggera. So more cost because I didn't get it right first time!

Since Paul seems to be thinking about doing sprinting seriously I think he is quite right to start aiming straight away about getting the car specced right rather than having two bites at the very expensive cherry. He'll be that bit more competitive as a result and will find it less frustrating when up against better specced cars.

Having said that I wouldn't have a clue what the most cost-effective light 13" wheels to go for!

Edited by - kenevans on 25 Feb 2003 11:13:50

however there is always a strong market for 13" wheels within this community, especially if they have tyres *smile* so if you get it wrong there are always eager buyers (at the right price of course).

also as Paul has a superlight already then he probably already has 13" wheels, I guess it depends if he is after a 2nd set (which it appears it has) or not

rob *smile*

I would stick with standard Caterham supplied 6x13" KNs with Bridgestones. If there's a perceived need to go wider then moving to Compomotive style split rims makes sense. Perhaps even the SLR or R500 jobs...

Having 'standard' Caterham wheels means that resale is never a problem, in the context of competition the cost will fade into the noise.

If you get serious enough to be considering running a Caterham on 15 or 16 inch wheels and List 1A tyres then I would advise changing the Superlight for an ex-race car, or buying an OMS...

Paul

Agree with Paul. Don't try 7 inch on 185 width 720's as they will be very stretched. I used them on 6.5's and they didn't look right then, so 7's will be worse. The 720's are best on 6 inch rims at 185.

You should not need any wider than 185 with a standard superlight unless you are planning big horsepwer upgrades in the future to above 180 BHP. The only real decision you have to make is if to go for 1a (ie the 720's oe similar ) or 1b tyres (acb10,32r's ect) and that will depend on the class you want to run in.

Thanks for all the replies,

At present I have R500 mags with CR 500 ....I liked the look of them rather than looking for a performance advantage and spec'd them from new when I built the car last year. I wanted a second set of wheels, so I could use them exclusively for sprinting, what ever tyre I happened to need. Weather a RE720 for list 1A or maybe later on an ACB10 for out and out performance at present this is what I have gained by 'phoning around

KN minators £55+ VAT

Compomotive ML £75.50 + VAT

Superlite Single piece £65 + VAT

Superlite three piece split rim £135 +VAT

All 6X13 ,it seems we all agree is most suitable for 135 BHP

Ken,

I was not aware 15" was the thing to have in road going. I was under the impression 13" was the best performance option for a Seven. Mined you the new R300/400 have 15" don't thay...but not the R500

Paul - i think the reason why ken uses 15" is that th e tyres in question are not available in 13" form

I have 3 sets of kn minators wheels so if you want to try any let me know, shod with either cr500'd acb's or slicks (includin 13 * 7) -

Have you tried jonny at booktrack he may be able to do KN's cheaper than that

rob

Alex, Can't make Sunday, at work all day. I am off this week however, hint , hint.

Rob, Thanks, I may well take you up on you offer

Dave J....Now you have put the spanner in the works. I had sort of decided on the Superlites. I did a search , the only negatve I found was with the three piece that were changed with no problem. I spoke to Karen at Superlite. Seemed good price, steel insert , correct offset(No spacers) will fit large brakes. What problems have people had.

We could be the death nail for a company by posting on here,( A British Company at that) or am I over stating the power of Blatchat. If what they are selling is CR*P that is fair enough, is that the case? Dave I do appreciate your comment could you expand