Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series cooling trouble and doubts

Iortz

Hello everybody

First of all, sorry about my poor english.i am from the north of spain and i don't use to write much in your lenguage.

I need some advice,I proudly own a 1.6 k series seven. I had overheating problems months ago, the trouble was the radiator it leaks and sudleny produce overpresure in the circuit so the expansion tanks cap blowed water. i have the spare to change both of them ,the radiator and the tanks expansion cap.the car also take temperature very quickly because of this.is anything more that is recomended to change?

i was thinking in changing also the thermostat for a much cooler one,i have one from stock, bypassing the fan and also the temperature sensor for a cooler one so the fan starts earlier..but i dont know if it is possible? And will this prevent overheating?and where to find the spares? Is anything else i can improbe to make the cooling work better and smothly?

Thank you very much

Jorge

Bienvido.

There are lots of bad experiences with cooling K engines in 7s. And there are ways of changing the system dramatically, but let's start with some simple measures, which lead to success in most cars:

1. What coolant are you using?
  2. Yes, cooler thermostats are often helpful. My 1800 K has an 82°C. (In England it's now quite common for engines not to get up to temperature on motorways on cold days!) If you say what temperature you'd like I'll look up the part number... I think they're the same as for Minis.
  3. Are you sure you're filling it fully without air locks? There are tricks such as tilting the car nose-up, using a bleeding t-piece at the top of the circuit and massaging the hoses. Check that the hoses from the engine to the radiator are getting fully hot.
  4. If all of those don't seem to allow it to fill properly the next step is drilling a small hole in the thermostat: pictures are available.
  5. Check that the fan comes on at a suitable temperature and blows air in the right direction. Yes, the temperature threshold can be changed.

Good luck

Jonathan

I use an 82C thermostat in my k-series too. With the changes to the cooling hoses as written in Low Flying magazine from September 2012 the coolant is always 80C ... Even touring southern Europe in mid summer. I have a PDF scan of this article which I can e.mail to you if you like.

A bleed T from eBay, put into the hose near the heater helps enormously with filling coolant with airlocks. Im running the standard circuit, albeit without a heater, and all I have done that's not standard is the small hole in the thermostat, and the bleed T.

Hello and thanks Everybody!!And thanks for the welcoming!!

Ok, by parts im not used to have so much information and such fast!!

thanks jonathan!! i use normal cooling the same that uses my golf always, is a -10º C cooling water,Is difference between cooling waters?then the thermostat is 88ºC one also the spare that i have, that dont have any hole already..like you said i am trying to find a 82º one and if dont have, drill a hole in it like the older one had. when i bleeded other times i use to put higher the expansion tank and wait to until the thermostat open, then wait till is cold to repeat the operation, this for three times to ensure.but i take note to lift the front of the car and massaging the hoses and check the fan works on the correct direcction. that i supose is from the front to rear of the car?

thanks tombb for the link!like you, jonathan and andy said im gonna put the t bleeding in the heater hose to prevent airlocks. just like in ebays photo, is that the correct way?

And also thanks to SM25T im gonna send you a private message so if you send me the pdf article please.

Thank you very very much to all of you!!!!i really aprecciate your help!!!

Coolant
The only special requirement for K engines is the right inhibitors for the aluminium engine. I use Comma XStream G30.

Thermostat
The part number for the 82°C thermostat is Unipart GTS104/5. If you can't find one, even from Redline, let us know.
Would you like Ian's photo of where the hole should be?

Bleeding T-piece
Sources above. Some prefer to use metal rather than plastic because of the possibility of cracking. (I've never fitted mine because the system fills easily but I would if it didn't.)

Fan direction
Yes! :-)

Jonathan

Thank you!!

Im going to look if the cooling i have has that requirements and if not look for that one or one who has it to change, i have the car without radiator now so it the perfect moment.

I have found the termosthat in ebay right now and going to buy it as soon as possible,but will aprecciate that photo!! because they seem not to have it.

I will try to find the bleeding t piece in metal. if not i will put it in plastic, in case it complicates bleeding the circuit. and because the spares take time to reach.

SM25T have send me the PDF! Thank you very much and i am going to change the circuit so it work better and smothly like the article says.

i don´t know how is said in english. im going to make a full refubish?it will take me a little more time than i espected to, but going to make all. so i hope won´t have any problems in the future, this is the second full engine that my seven has, have not much time and i hope it last more than the previous one.that works for 12 years more or less.

I use the plastic bleed tee. It is in the top hose to the heater. The hose is long enough that I can raise the tee to be the highest part of the cooling circuit. I then tie it down with a loose cable tie during normal driving so it does not contact the bonnet.

Yesterday i was really busy also today. Thank you for the photo ok,easy to make and thank you also for the advise!!now its time to make the "gathering" (i don't know if it is the correct word) to make all the work!!

i will be writting here how is the repair being done!!!

Really many thanks for your help and advice!!! :-) :-)

Hi,

I did install this bleed-T and, with the time had issue with it.

Being in plastic, the coolant heat distorted the bleed-T caps with as a result a leak.

I did replace this item with a DIY one made with brass plumbing parts. Since no issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Good Afternoon everybody!!!

It´s been a long month since i order the spares and have time to repair it. Finally this afternoon i almost have it lefts only a 8mm t that hope i could find tomorrow fill and bleed it.that i hope i wil make it tomorrow afternoon.. i hope i can post it also.

Finally i haven´t made the modification to ensure that the engine works correctly, once ensure i hope i will modificate it soon.

If you see anything that might be wrong please tell me..Sorry for the dirt is the only place i have to make it.

/sites/default/files/images/users/41937/medium_DSC_1070%20%282%29.JPG

The new thermostat

/sites/default/files/images/users/41937/medium_DSC_1071%20%282%29.JPG

The radiator

/sites/default/files/images/users/41937/medium_DSC_1074%20%282%29.JPG

/sites/default/files/images/users/41937/medium_DSC_1075%20%282%29.JPG

Before and after installing the bleeding t in the calefaction hose. it reains to the top althoug its intalled in the lower one.

/sites/default/files/images/users/41937/medium_DSC_1078%20%282%29.JPG

/sites/default/files/images/users/41937/medium_DSC_1082%20%282%29.JPG

All installed except t from the radiator to the expansion tank.

Thank you very much all to all of you!!

I will be posting further repair till its completed!!!!

Good morning!!

Yesterday i finally connect the hoses left from th radiator to the expasion tank and started filling of water the circuit.I hope all the night bleeding itself have helped...

But due a little problem, a dead battery ,althought i have disconnect it i can´t start the engine so is unaviable tho finnish the repair. i hope i can find a battery booster today so this weekend i could finish with him. and take it to give a "trip" around.

Thanks again everybody for the help gived!!!

Hello!!!

It Works really really fine!!!!

I have bleed it this this morning and started it!!!I will built back this afternoom!!

Thank you very very much for all the advice and help supported!!!!!!!!!!

large_DSC_1102(2).JPG.62472001fca06e8aa8cf9bf3593580a8.JPG

I hope to take a round tomorrow morning!!!

*bounce**bounce**bounce**bounce*

large_DSC_1102(2).JPG.84c73e0ee9cdf8363045d8c6cd13d2e6.JPG

Hello

This morning have take to a round close to my town!!!

Everything seems perfect it roars like a little cat,(i don´t know how to say).so i hope i can make more!!!not overheating,bleeding, nothing!!!take his time to warm also!!! it goes perfect!!

Thank you again for all of you for the help!!!!!!!!

xlarge_DSC_1107(2).JPG.8510de08b8dc0c2d4b848b963e903ba9.JPG

My girlfriend is also glad about it as you can see!!!!