Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Height of Central Mirror on my Brooklands aeroscreens

jp7

Hi all, i have a set of caterham brooklands style aeroscreens. The central rear view mirror is a SPA Design, Convex centre post sports car type ( Pg 148 DT catologue). The body of the mirror sits on a post thats about 4-5" high, just right to obscure my view of the left front wheel, making it really tricky to place the car on left handers. I had got round it by ducking down to see, but i thought it would be easier to raise the mirror up by cutting and welding in a longer post. Has anybody done this? I was wondering what inpact the extra height would have on the turning moment at the base, as obviously, for the same speed the higher mirror would bend the base more.

Cheers

Andy

Err, Ok Andy. How about remove the seat and have a very thin cushion.Weight saving, view UNDER mirror unhindered, less aerodynamic drag from your bonce in the airstream!

..................................but I'd go with the extension block idea with a variation. I think the fixings are three in a triange arrangement, yes? Why not fit tube sections with the bolts running through the centres. These are very light weight. Have very little aerodynamic drag and can easily be cut to suit height etc. And of course would look super cool.

I think the fixing bolts are 5 or 6mm. You'd need long ones of course. I'd use arrow shaft ali. If you want some email me etc.

Cheers, Chris

Cheers for the replies. Alex,How much higher did you go? Have you had any problems with the mirror bending back at speed? Chris,I can see the 'spacer' idea but think it better to have the stem bolted to the stanchion. Are you in the 'arrow' business? Mick tells me your diff went in ok, we're doing my head in a couple of weeks, cant wait.

cheers

Andy