Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Buying Car

Warren S Smith

A friend of mine in the Spanish club is looking at the following car which is for sale in Spain:

* 1700 c.c. Super Sprint * Dedion chassis

* Manufactured in May 1996 * Limited slip differential

* Colour Metallic Blue * Competition exhaust (4 into 1)

* 17,100 km * Engine immobiliser

* 2 owners * Full weather equipment

* Ford Cross Flow with twin Webber carburettors * Leather seats

* 135 bhp - 0-100 km/h in 5.6 seconds * Momo steering wheel

* Oil cooler * Fitted with flared wings

* 5 speed * Box of spare parts and cycle wings

* 14 inch Minilite Aluminium wheels * Michelin Pilot tyres 185 / 60 R14

Are there certain things which should be checked which, if okay, would suggest that the car is in sound condition mechanically.

All responses are much appreciated

I cant help you on the mechanical side other than the usual stuff - check for smoke, unusual rattles, unevenly worn tyres etc.

However 1996 is right in the middle of the 'crap powdercoating' era ,although I'd hope that being in Spain the resulting corrosion will be less of an issue.

Look for loose and/or flaking powdercoat on the chassis and for corrosion bubbles on the bodywork, especially on the side of the body just forward of the windscreen. Do a search for corrosion if you want more info.

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

Supersprints tend to need some loving attention at 15,000 miles cos the pistons are rubbish (1300 Ford pistons as it happens). If you fit with forged replacements at the first rebuild the resulting lump will last a very long time indeed.

Check A-frame bushes, front bearings for play, tyre wear, all boots on driveshafts/rack all the usual suspects.

I'll second Nick's comments re powder coating. I too have a vehicle of this era.

especially on the side of the body just forward of the windscreen

To be a little more precise this is at the bottom of the side panel where the chassis rails all meet on the inside. This chassis junction is obscured from the underside by the footwells, although if it is an ex-race car it may be open on the passenger side. If the general powder coating is poor then I think it would be safe to assume that there may be a problem brewing there. The only thing one can do is spray Waxoyl between the footwell and the body panel and reskin/repowder coat when your ship comes in.

Nifty.

Edited by - Nifty on 24 Feb 2003 20:56:37