Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Toyo R1R on a Fabia

rj

Slightly OT and then not...

My nephew got his license in January and went with me on a trackday in May where he drove my 210BHP+  K-Caterham during the lunch break. He did well bearing in mind that he had never been on a track with an RWD car before. He also gave it plenty of welly, enough to outbrake himself and spin *cool*

I am not sure I have the guts to let him out along with the other cars with much more experienced drivers in the Caterham. Therefore I am thinking of offering him my Fabia as a learners car.

Would Toyo R1Rs be a reasonable choice for this?

Or should I just let him drive the Caterham and pray?

Or should I just let him drive the Caterham and pray?

"Yes" and "No" in that order. But add:

1. Choose the right organisers. I think that MSE are excellent for beginners. 
  2. Get the insurance that you think is appropriate. I go for specific trackday cover with named drivers (of course) and a big excess.
  3. Sit in with him and vice versa. 
  4. Arrange some instruction... they've seen it all before.

Getting my children, nieces, nephews, their partners, friends etc out on the track adds a lot to my enjoyment of the 7. But it's a lot less powerful than yours...

Jonathan

• Area Representative

Jonathan:
Do MSE operate in Denmark?

Regin:
Sitting in as an instructor is sensible, if your nerves can stand it (I find it really odd being a passenger in a Seven).  Are there options for him to experiment without surrounding cars as at this lunchtime?  Lastly, I suppose it depends upon the Fabia - would it keep up?

The Fabia is fairly quick and will keep up with some of the other cars. Clearly not all of them, but it won't be the slowest with a decent driver.

I am very much less scaired on the circuit than on the public roads when I let someone drive the Caterham, which happens fairly often. I have had to change my underwear more than once...

The lunch break is available, even when FOC when it's me. Actually we are having a "kindergarden" max five cars on the circuit, all with instuctors of some sort.I have been driving with the organisers for the last 8ish years. It's a fair compromise between nanny and freedom, that's why I like them.

Insurance is easy: I pay if he breaks it. That is the option I have. He's under 21 and has had his license for less than 3 years: No cover, not even with Reiss or the like.