Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Glue that resists heat?

anthonym

What are the materials to be joined?

Loctite Hysol 9492 is an epoxy rated for 180C and with good chemical resistance.

That looks good to me: Loctite 9492. (I was just about to look for two-part epoxy adhesives with higher temperature tolerance than ordinary Araldite.)

The other family that might be worth looking at is high-temperature silicones, as used in exhausts etc nowadays.

Jonathan

well, it's hot in the engine bay.. but no more hot than usual

I suppose substances used so far at not truly glues. 

Superglue:Service Temperature: Up to 180°F (82°C) 

How hot is it in there under the bonnet by the battery? R500K remember.

What are the materials to be joined?

The battery and its breather - plastic?

why's it leaking if not reaching 338 deg c? (Hi rj! :-) ) or can it do that on right handers? (breather is on left if facing forwards) 

does epoxy resist acid?

BTW for future generations reading this, I use a kettle of boiling water to clean up the spilled acid. Carefully, works like magic, also check under the battery in its tray for acid.

• 2 weeks later...

Ian,

If the regulator inside the alternator is OK, it should not overcharge regardless the revs.

However, if the regulator is blown, it could cause overcharging even at low RPM.

Anthony *byebye* I would expect gasses when charging a lead-acid battery. I can't tell why yours is leaking; it's been a long time since I swapped to Lithium batteries - you may remember my obsession with loosing weight...

PS: If you have an earth-faliure the Stack may misread. ISTR the voltage regulator on the OEM alternator is built in and has it's return fed internally. If, however, the return is fed from the battery this could cause issues too.

/r