Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Brake Pad Removal

Mike Molloy

I would like some advice about rear pad removal. I have a 2002 de-dion car with Sierra single-piston rear calipers. These have been directly plumbed to the copper brake pipe (no flexible hose link).

What exactly do I have to do to get the pads out for inspection?

Does it mean detaching the brake pipe to lift the caliper off the disc?

Ideally I would want to do this before/after every race, so repeated bending of the copper pipe is not ideal...

I am tempted to replace the fixed copper pipe on the de-dion tube with Goodrich hoses. Does anybody do a kit?

Any advice welcome.

I have no trouble lifting off the top part of the calliper with, it attached to the copper pipe, far enough to extract the pads. Just make sure any tie wraps are pushed back along the de-dion tube as possible to spread the flex over as much pipe as possible. And obviously take care.

You'll need a calliper wind back tool, which is about £20 from Halfords, to get the piston back in in order to fit new pads. Some people say they can retract the piston with screwdrivers or similar, but I reckon it's £20 well spent, especially if you plan to do it regularly.

Jon

Still a bl%dy pain to get the new pads in though even with the pistons wound right back with said tool.

Remember whatever method you use to make sure that the four cutout sections (looks a bit like a maltese cross) are North / South (and of course E/W) so to speak so the small raised section on the pad goes into a slot. If not, it stands the pad at an angle. Obvious when looked at but..........................!