Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Paint - Matching your original colour(s)

brianjhall31

I recently struggled to find a correct paint match for my Caterham Superlight R300 factory built in 2003.  Having contacted Martin Phipps at Caterham who proved to be very helpful in locating the original build documents and correspondence with the customer the 2 colours were identified as "Reflex Blue" and "Aztec Orange" BUT no reference codes that codes be given to a paint supplier! 

After seaching through many forum posts and exploring lots of paint supplier websites, plus ordering a small quantity of "Pantone Reflex Blue" (a shade too light), I was recommended by a local car spares shop to try Panel Shop 2000 in Weston-Super-Mare.  Following a short phone call I took them a small sample from the car, in my case the centre section of the fuel cap.  Using their extensive range of "chips"  they we able to perfectly match my colour and supply me with both a 400ml aerosol and 40 ml touch up kit.

The whole exercise just took 2 days from me dropping of the sample to picking up the paint.  Costs are £10.95 for the aerosol and £6.95 for the Touch Up Kit (+vat).  They also provide the Code for future ordering!  Great service!

Contact details are: www.panelsandparts.co.uk. Tel 01934 516689

Glad it worked.

But was that an existing manufacturer's code or a note of their formulation?

There's an enormous amount in the archives on trying to find paint codes and formulations. And the recommendations usually end up with going to a paint shop and asking them to match. Apart from the question of specification that of course also allows for fading.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I checked with Panel Shop 2000 and the Code they provided for "Reflex Blue" - NMC B5183 Blue is their own mixing code.

So a satisfied customer with a perfect match for the particular car but no global solution for all.  However it does prove that you will always find the answer in our forums.  Nothing better than good reliable recommendations!

Brian