Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New brake callipers, old uprights

TomB

After browsing eBay and seeing new style AP calipers, I was wondering whether having discontinued with the old Triumph Spitfire front calipers, the new AP callipers (2 pot or 4 pot) fitted to new Caterhams are compatible with the older Triumph upright.

Have the old uprights been replaced? Presumably the new 2 pot, standard calipers are modern alloy, lighter than the cast iron Triumph ones and perhaps 'better'.  Do the current line of AP calipers fitted to new car represent a route of upgrade for older cars or not? 

Hypothetically, would one of the modern 2 pot AP calipers https://caterhamparts.co.uk/calipers/5296-brake-caliper-lh-front-a-p-racing-2014-on.html

be a viable alternative to something like a HiSpec on the standard discs with the old upright?

The new calipers are on new uprights with radial fixing rather that axial as the old ones were and so are not bolt on compatible. I expect an adapter could be made but would be more effort than its worth.

They use new hubs as well although I dont know if they are backwards compatible or not, probably not!

Ah I see now looking at the picture of the new upright. The calipers attach in a completely different manner.

Just wondering, no upgrades planned. Was musing of ways to reduce unsprung weight aside from expensive Mike Barmby magnesium allow wheels - lighter calipers and the alloy rotors would be the main things at the front to go with.