Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where Do I Cut?

Dartmoor7

I was pondering this approach as well but then someone posted an alternative solution, which appears better (I have not yet installed this myself). There is now a blog........Gearbox oil filler / dipstick modification.

Might be a better solution all round.

TBH I dont find checking/ filling that difficult - you have to get under there to grease the prop anyway.

I use a cut down allen key, attack from the drivers side (so fingers bend towards the plug) and use an old gear oil bottle to fill. The bottle has a 90 degree bend on the fill tube which also extends down to the bottom of the bottle so as you squeeze it, the oil is forced upwards.

Edited to say one of the latest comma bottles could be adapted, as the fill tube is already pushed down into the bottle - just needs an extension tube.

Ian

• Area Representative

LADS TOP TIP - Using a gear oil bottle is hard work. Use an oil can (less than £4 from Machine Mart). Attach a piece of clear plastic tube (similar to that used for windscreen washers). Also use one for diff top up. 

1. Agree with Aeroscreens in post #10: you can fit and remove the top plate in situ. For some reason I did this during the build. But I'd borrow some smaller hands if I had to do it again.
  2. Agree with Ian in post #11: now I've got a cut-down hex key AND THE RIGHT SORT OF RATCHET SPANNER it's not too difficult. But my prop joints are greased while it's up on the ramp for the MoT inspection.
  3. As with draining, filling is easier with warm oil.

Jonathan