Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Will removing race stripes leave a mark

DRH

WD40 will probably help with any adhesive remaining on the bodywork, but it won't help with any differential fading depending how long the stripes have been on. The adhesive will be easy to remove, so I'd be more worried about the latter.

How long have they been on?

Only saying because I recently removed some from a vehicle which had the stripes on the bonnet for 5 years. The vinyl had started to crack and it left a complete mess on the paintwork. In the end only a respray could fix.. the mess of damaged paintwork left behind

If I had known this in advance, I'd have just sanded them off from the start rather than waste the best part of a week with WD40, hot air blowers, acetone, scrapers etc etc..!

• Area Representative

If they have been on as long as your nosecone badge then unbolt that and check underneath.
The fading (or not) there will tell you what's changed (or not) under your stripes.

Thanks for the comments chaps.

They have been on about 3 years, it would seem that it depends on whether the paint has faded from UV damage which would leave the paint under the decals in a darker more original condition I would have thought and the UV would have discolored the paint, so no chance of a match.

Some members have commented that they have heard cases where the paint work underneath has been left in worse condition.

Removing the badge to find out seems a good first step, i could just put new stripes back on if it shows a mark.

I would back up Tom suggestion of the hairdryer , I just removed a stripe that had been on for 20yrs without any damage, paint had not faded despite it being a bright yellow , I used  pledge /mr sheen instead of WD40 it worked  a treat on the adhesive left and doesn't leave any oily residue

I've never seen a back-to-back comparison, but I'd guess that help from a domestic cleaning product came from the solvent/ propellant rather than silicones. One of the more common is isopropanol.

DRH: can I persuade you to try some of each of the following when you have a go and compare the results:

1. WD-40
  2. Isopropanol
  3. Cleaner as recommended by nickh7.

Jonathan

Any of the polishes work I am told it's one of the solvents . In a past job I used to have to put and take down a lot of promotional  material and  to get the stickers off. We used to spray with Mr sheen leave for a few minutes. Scape off then polish with a duster.