Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suggestions please - K Series noisy top end

MadCat52

2005 K Series 1.8 with about 26K miles.  Top end light noise, almost a rattle, under light load conditions; occurs when both cold and hot; disappears when under heavier loads.  No appearance of loss of power.

My first thoughts are something around the hydraulic tappets - do they fail?  Before diving in, grateful for thoughts on what else it might be?

Thanks

Bob

Injectors? They can be noisy.   Worth getting someone else to have a listen - when I first got my car I was sure the top end was too noisy but it turns out they all sound like that.

But if you do think it's the followers then check your oil pressure at low revs in case the followers are a symptom of low oil pressure.  For them to be tappy they'd need to have air in them or be pumped up to too low a pressure.  Maybe try an oil change, possibly to a thicker grade.

• Area Representative

Check the alternator mounting bracket points. I had a lug break on mine due to overtightning and it rattled to the extent I thought the big or little ends had gone.  Mine needed a new bracket, as the alternator was fine.

Piers

It's an EU3 but I'll double check the cover tightness and the alternator bracket next time.  Yep, using 5W-50 as spec.  Still have the standard electrical (hopeless!) oil pressure guage which has always shown low oil pressure - red to 2 bar max.  Is there a way/piece of kit to reliably test the oil pressure at the top end without resorting to the full mechanical guage conversion?

Still have the standard electrical (hopeless!) oil pressure guage which has always shown low oil pressure - red to 2 bar max.  Is there a way/piece of kit to reliably test the oil pressure at the top end without resorting to the full mechanical guage conversion?

If mine failed I'd fit a remote electronic sensor.

Jonathan

Hydraulic tappets can get air trapped in them which makes them noisy. Fix is simple, rev the ballcocks off it it for a short while.

Simply rev it to 6000+ RPM and hold for about 20 seconds. It's painful to do if you're mechanically sympathetic, but should cure the problem if that's what it is.