Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R400D: new silencer, old heatshield

John Vine

I've just replaced my silencer with one of these:

R400silencerpartCSP907B.jpg.13dc7c39b3258e16ba148387a5ce962d.jpg

but I've kept the ali heatshield:

Newsilenceroldheatshield.jpg.6afae7bba24f1253e794fb0186a81bc2.jpg

I realise the new silencer doesn't need a heatshield, but am I doing something silly (such as damaging the outer skin of the new silencer)?  I'd prefer to keep the heatshield to maintain the original appearance (2008 vintage).

JV

Well i burnt my leg rather nastily on that silencer recently exiting the car in shorts and wasn't impressed. Apparently Caterham don't do a sigma pattern heat guard yet which is a shame But its definitely a good idea and i will be getting one soon. 

Thanks for the feedback, chaps.

...until you sell the car...

Ah, but I don't intend to sell, and that's another reason to keep the car as close to the original spec as possible.  And my old (original) silencer seemed fearsomely noisy when, er, making progress.  I accept that the hose clips are likely to scratch the surface, but I was more worried about deforming the outer skin.

JV    

An update...

Judging by how hot the new silencer gets, I'm very glad I kept the heatshield.  My right leg will be eternally grateful, I'm sure.

And the new silencer is so much quieter.  I think the old one (43K miles) was well and truly knackered.

JV