Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series - Checking for Small End / Piston / Gudgeon Pin Wear

revilla

I've got a set of K Series pistons in front of me. VVC 160 to be precise.

Mileage unknown. I know how to check for piston wear, piston to bore clearance, ring clearance in grooves etc. But ...

Is there any way to check properly for wear in the small ends? The gudgeon pins are interference fitted in the rods so there's no way to strip the assembly to inspect and measure.

The pins float in the pistons. They slide freely and rotate freely. Giving them a good wiggle there is no play I can feel and I can't noticeably rock the rods in the pistons at all along the crank axis so I would say they are fine, but just wondering if there's a more precise way to check.

Don't seem to hear of many small ends going on Ks.

When the small end is interference it isn't easy to measure the clearance accurately, however the rocking test should reveal if there is any problem, bear in mind the majority of any wear will be across the top of the gudgeon in and bore as this where most of the load is. Clamp the rod in a vice, grasp the piston on either side by the gudgeon pin bore and try to rock the piston with the rod as a fulcrum, any appreciable movement than you can feel would indicate wear.

Oily