Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The Roof

Red SLR

Not very technical I know, but what it the best way to get the roof on.

Upto now I have just been pulling up the cage till the straps get tight then throwing the roof over.... then using the press studs.

But what I was told the other day is you are suppose to pull the cage all the way forward so it is flat, then put the roof on, then push the cage back up (the oter way) until it takes up the slack then re-size the straps.

I have only used my roof 5 or 6 times and today I found that my roof needs to stretch quite a bit, I dont want to stretch it the wrong way though if you know what I mean. So what is the offical cateham method?

Ta

Simon

X777CAT

As a poof who uses the hood more than the hard, real ale drinking contingent of the L7 club I'll give you a serious and possibly helpful answer.

1. Store the hood indoors as it's easier to get on.

2. Remember to take hood with you whne you go out in car. This will prevent rain occuring. If you forget the hood, remember it's back home under the bed - it will rain.

3. To stop inside getting wet open out hood, throw over cabin and attach all poppers to screen.

4. Put up hood bars, but slip the straps down the side of the smaller, secondary bar, so it can move about a bit - but not so it lies flat.

5. Put velcro bit over primary bar.

6. Pull hood over and put on corner poppers, then across the back then the sides but not very front ones.

7. Lean inside and pull up on secondary bar and push straps over to correct position - slacken if req.

8. Get in.

9. Pull on straps and make sure you get the door flaps sorted.

I've tried various methods and this is the most reliable, even with a cold, shrunk hood. Try putting your heating (in your house) up high to warm the hood very well then put it on and leave it for a bit.

Piers

(not ashamed to use the hood at all)

(From memory)

The door closing sequence is interesting so that even more water doesn't get in.

Leave the hood popper near your shoulder undone.

Working from the windscreen end of the top of the door, seal the door under the inside of the hood until the 'tuck' (or whatever you call that cutout on the corner) the rest of the door should be outside the hood and the final popper and the inside straps can be done up.

Always remember the cardinal rules though:

1. Never get in without the keys in your mouth.(If they're in your pocket you have to get out again.

2. Never do up the harness until you're about to start and the doors are fully closed.

Cheers,

Davebo

C7 CAR

Since fitting an FIA bar, erecting the hood has become more of a trial as it has to stretch even further while you fasten the poppers.

I have found that if you loosely set up the hood sticks as usual, but then fasten the poppers around the rear and sides of the car, then stretch the front over the windscreen it makes it easier even when it is very cold and already raining hard!

Hope this helps

Ian B

Simon,

Further tip - you might find it easier to re-position the loosened retaining straps once the hood is on (particularly those on the rearmost frame) if you unzip the rear window first and reach it through the open flap.

7thumbsup.gifcool.gif

L7OOOOH