Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Classic sucess story! - pt 1 - Thermostat

wonkey eyed barmaid

a couple of weeks since I decided to go down the path of fitting a thermostat to my 1600 vx classic, i finally got it done today *thumbup* and Im delighted with the results 😬

the thermostat does everything it was hoped it would do - 'proper' operating temp's and a heater with heat!! @ £12 or so it must surely be the best and cheapest upgrade for a vx classic.

the thermostat is off the shelf vauxhall.

caterham suggested part no is: 90486128. my friend @ the local vauxhall dealership sold me 90232012, which he says is the same thing but designated for the cavalier engine as opposed to the astra one. it seems to work a treat.

fitting of the 'stat was easy, (15mins. not inc draining the rad). after refilling the cooling system i left the car on a fast idle for 5/6 mins and the temp got to 75/80 degrees, which is higher than it has got even during full speed blatting in the past few months. took it out for a spin, about 7/8 miles, the temps got up to about 90 which is pretty close to optimal, and this is even considering the air temp tonight was probably around freezing. back home in the garage left car idling again for 5 mins, temps near 100, fan kicks in, temps go down, temp goes back near 100, fan kicks in.... etc. (all temps approximite)

bleed the air out of the system, go for another drive - just to be sure *wink* flick on the heater and have instant warm feet and legs - result!! 😬 *thumbup*

I can recommend this minor but ultimately essential upgrade to any vx owner. *cool*

Edited by - granteuk on 23 Feb 2003 11:44:46

Do you know what Temp the Thermostat was marked as?

Usually 82 degrees C. is as High as one would cleverly want to go. Higher temps alter the running clearances of an engine, this is not a good thing :-)

IF it's higher I suggest refitting an 82 C one... v soon.

Only reason for higher temps are so Manufacturers can more easily "squeeze" an engine thru Emission regulations, without doing adequate engineering work.

IF there is a percieved problem with engine temps (or more correctly Heater Output), then perhaps you should see to the rest of the cooling system .

the problem with the engines temperature, was that there wasnt any temperature (strugling to attain over 60deg). the car did not have a thermostat as standard. with the thermostat now fitted I have much healthier operating temps, and warm feet. *smile*

those vauxhall part numbers again - 90486128 or 90232012.

Edited by - granteuk on 23 Feb 2003 11:39:13