Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec Starter Motor

AdamQ

My starter motor gave up the ghost yesterday. I'm pretty sure it is the motor itself as bypassing the solenoid with an old screwdriver didn't do the trick.

What generally goes wrong with these things? Are they repairable or considered throw-away items these days (I've found a new one on eBay for £60)?

Symptoms are that the solenoid clicks and then there's absolutely no further activity at all. It's not the battery as when I cannibalised the starter motor from another engine it started just like that.

What make is it?

Most starters and alternators seem to be repairable locally, but if it's something unusual I'd check with the manufacturer. One advantage of repairing over replacing is ease of refitting...

Jonathan

PS: But I'd still check all of the relevant wiring and connections and the battery voltage as it tries to crank.

I had to replace my starter motor recently. Took mine out and found a local guy who rebuilds them. He took the top off and fitted a new motor etc - cost £90. It seems most of these guys are old school and not on the net! I found this chap through a local spares shop.

Good luck

Garth